New newts

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and I just have a couple questions! I purchased three juvenile eastern newts from backwaterreptiles and one I caught in the wild. All are eating like little pigs and they seem to get along great. I know newts are pretty shy but I was just wondering if it was normal for this species to always be hiding, I did supply a ton of moss and live plants in their tank and they just love to go under them and dig deep into the dirt. The next question I had was that one of my newts lacks the red spots instead she just has black speckles, why is that? And my final question is can newts over eat? They are starting to get bellies on them and it has me worried.
Thanks! -Heidi
Ps: I have attached some pictures of my newts please let me
know if it worked! :p image.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, as efts they really can't 'overeat'. I would just continue to feed them as much as they'll eat. It's also normal for them to hide all the time. When they become aquatic they will be less reclusive, but that could be awhile...

Is the one you caught the one without red spots? I could be wrong but I'm guessing you caught it in Florida. Florida has what's called a peninsula newt and they don't always have the red spots.

Actually no, the one with no red spots came from backwaterreptiles I caught one of the red spotted ones from up north so that was why I was kind of confused lol.

Huh, there goes that idea. Perhaps backwater reptile acquired a peninsula newt, or central newt as they don't always have spots either. Also with all newts there will be some variation in color or pattern so I guess that little guy just doesn't have them. Still all attractive efts you have there, but as stated they will want to hide for most of the time until aquatic, can take up to 4 years for that to happen, and they should have nice little tummies on them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back