Toys for Axolotls???

DiscusDream

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone given their Axolotl a rubber bouncy ball to play with?? I got two today, and it was my first thought. Then my second thought was "Is it safe to put it in the water?" I'm not sure if it would leach anything bad into the water.

I have tried toys for my axies - if you stick a ball in they tend to push it around because it's taking up floor space and it's in the way!

But there's no reason not to try - I would stick with hard plastic rather than rubber, rubber can degrade over time.

When I had Axolotls they used to have some big glass marbles they would push about. Although it looked like a game, I think they were just searching for stray bloodworms that had some how escaped their attention.

If you want something that will be 100% safe you could try a marimo moss ball, they're great and I've seen my axolotl push it around like a ball and lean on it.

Cacique: I actually HAVE Marimo balls....I have several fish tanks.....and have plans to put some in their big tank when I move them in. Now, I'm really looking forward to seeing them push them around!! (with my luck, none of mine will do it, though.....lol)

Someone just gave me the bouncy balls today, so I thought about trying it out. I wasn't actively looking for toys for them. I may try them out a time or two and see what happens. I don't think I would leave them in the tank, though. I really like a natural aquascape, and I don't think a bright blue ball fits that bill.....lol

I agree about the ball lol. The moss ball will fit right in and I wouldn't be surprised if your axie did at least check it out. I thought my axolotl wouldn't but less than half an hour after I tossed it in he had his face against it seeing what it was. I mainly find the moss ball has moved an inch or two more than seeing him on it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back