How often to feed young sallies

tcbemis

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how often we should be getting young spotted salamanders? They morphed in June and we've kept a total of 6; 3 "younger" and 3 "older", separated into two large tupperware-type containers with holes drilled in the lids. Instead of soil we're still keeping them on several layers of brown unbleached paper towels (can recommend this housing enough! So easy to clean!). Currently we're feeding them earthworms from our garden, cut into roughly 2 inch pieces (they're still good and active this way, the Sals seem to like the hunt). They're sprayed down nightly with pond water.

We're just wondering if maybe we should cut down to every other day feeding them, or even less? Should we vary their diet somewhat? I know earthworms are a complete diet, but it seems a tad... Boring lol.

Also... We have a 29 gal tank ready to go... Any thoughts when they should go into that instead of their containers? We found that the feeding didn't go too well when they were tiny in the soil. Now the largest is about 3.5 inches.

I'll post a few pics... They're gorgeous!
Thanks in advance!
ac388d7a55fa4f9edfb435a230ecb886.jpg
fe832793c9e56911f386878a1a00f0e6.jpg

that one looks like you could just feed it once or twice a week...and smaller portions

Curious... Do you mean that she's a fatty... Or in general young salamanders only eat once or twice a week? I can't seem to find information on that. Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back