Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are pink spots normal on leucistics?

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
I was just wondering if pink spotting is normal on leucistic axolotls. I know that they change color as they age (He's starting to get some freckles on his face) but I have no frame of reference on if this is normal. He's acting just fine so I am guessing its nothing.

I am sorry my picture isnt that great, I had to use my phone. You can see some of the spots right on his midsection.

Attachments

• 60b35b3ef2016634e4c2d7bf49fe1e30.png
    60b35b3ef2016634e4c2d7bf49fe1e30.png
    314.8 KB · Views: 2,056

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
I managed to get my camera going and got some better pictures. He's got a bit of color to his tail because I just did my weekly water change.

As I was taking pictures I noticed the top part of his tail had a bit of a fold to it and now I am really worried. He's still acting fine and eating well but I am just so worried about something happening. I added a picture. I cant find any info on it so I am hoping I am just worrying for nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_4703.jpg
    IMG_4703.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 4,871
  • 814accce66b0e0b5fddf501b30eb37a5.png
    814accce66b0e0b5fddf501b30eb37a5.png
    373.2 KB · Views: 6,607

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
Little bit of an update ... He hasn't been keeping his red wigglers down over the past two days. The spots seem to fade but he has that weird crease at the top of his tail that I cant find any info on.
My water parameters were perfect when I checked yesterday, the temp is 64 degrees, and he has never had a problem with red wigglers before. I tried soaking them for over an hour today and that didnt help. Nothing has changed and as far as I can see I have been following all the care instructions to the letter. I am so worried about him and I dont know if this is just a thing that happens or if he has an upset stomach.

Any info would be loved as I am very confused as to what could be going on.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Axolotls will throw up if they've over eaten, or sometimes after a water change, or even for no apparent reason. Maybe the red wrigglers are stronger tasting than usual. If your water tests out ok, then I really wouldn't worry too much at the moment.
I can't see anything wrong in any of the photo's, I can see the part of his fin you mean, but axolotls are never quite perfect...otherwise people would stop at just one! ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!