Can i keep shrimp with my axolotl

natsharp14

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I know your not meant to keep anything with a axolotl but what about shrimp aparently they're to fast for the axie I wouldn't mind if it got the occasional one but I was thinking if I but lots of plants and a hide that the axie can't get into but the shrimp can
Thanks in advance for your answers

There is always a large chance that most shrimp will become axie snacks.

As of right now I have had three amano shrimp in with my axies for about 8 months. The shrimp eat algae and detritus in the tank, which is a positive.
I just suppose my axolotls are very lazy and do not bother with them. But do keep in mind if you do get some, shrimp can become a slightly expensive snack.
And you would have to be careful on which type you get. Some get quite large and can harm your axolotls.

I also think that certain shrimps would be perfectly fine. I would recommend Red Cherry shrimp or any of the other colors. They're very small, seem to be harmless from everything I've read. They are very hardy and reproduce very quickly and easily, so you could set up a RCS tank and transfer some to your axolotl tank, and if they get eaten then they're free.

I set up a RCS tank about a month or so. 20 gallon long (75 liters) and added 5 RCS and some plants and I think I have counted about 10, and usually there's more than you'll see. I have yet to put them in the axolotl or any of my other tanks as I'm still waiting for their population to grow more. If you wanted to give them a higher chance of survival you could add lots of plants like java moss and some densely planted areas and they should hide there easily.

Edit: Be careful with ghost shrimp. There are 2 kinds I think and 1 kind has pincers and are aggressive and they might have a go at your axolotl. I've read of them attacking betta fishes, and they go unnoticed because they're so hard to see.

Last edited:
As far as I know, shrimp are completely fine, but they may become a tasty snack :D I personally have never heard of any problems with shrimp and axolotls.

My axolotls have caught every single shrimp I have ever put in their tank...Australian glass and riffle shrimp, and yellow cherry shrimp.

If they are active (and not overfed) and healthy, they will get them in the end.

After all, shrimp would be one of their natural foods.

Small shrimps are ok. But like others said, they'll probably end up eaten in the end. And you might not see them much anyway since they'll try to hide from the axies. I know someone who had shrimp in their axie tank and thought they were all eaten, but found some hiding in the plants some time later.

I put some shrimp in my tank, they didn't last very long before they were gobbled up. :D

i am looking into getting wood shrimp (which get to around 4-5") to put in my tank with my axies (which are around 7" long), from what i have researched so far the shimp only sift through the sand and the water to eat edible particles from it. i was just wondering if anyone knows if these are a "safe" bet as they do get quite large and only eat stuff from the sand and water. also they are said to be active meaning they should be fast enough to move out the way if my axies decide to see if they can have a snack.

It doesn't matter what shrimp you use, they will eventually end up as an axie snack. I have yet to meet a shrimp that can outrun an adult axie, and an axie can easily take a 4-5" shrimp.

If you're prepared for that then go ahead.

It doesn't matter what shrimp you use, they will eventually end up as an axie snack. I have yet to meet a shrimp that can outrun an adult axie, and an axie can easily take a 4-5" shrimp.

If you're prepared for that then go ahead.

Just building off what you've said.. To an axolotl all shrimp or snails smell the same to them. If they can fit it in their mouths they will try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back