Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Not sure...

dragonwind2000

Reaction score
Hi, I'm fairly new to axolotls, but I've kept other newts and salamanders for years.

I'm not sure what the issue with my albino axie is, but she seems unable to keep herself upright in the water and tips to one side or the other. Also, she finds it hard to remain submerged and floats to the top.

Otherwise, she's very healthy and still eats a ton. No visible bloating or other signs of illness/injury.

She doesn't seem bothered by her condition but it's very puzzling to me. I'm just not sure what to make of this?

Thanks!

Derek

Boomsloth

Reaction score
What's the temp at and can you post pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragonwind2000

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the Axolotl in question. Water temp is good and the tankmate is doing just fine. As shown in the photos, she's having trouble keeping upright unless there's something for her to grab onto. Other than this, however, she seems perfectly fine and has a very healthy appetite.

Attachments

• 198.jpg
    198.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 201.jpg
    201.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 204.jpg
    204.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 114

dragonwind2000

Reaction score
Actually, those pics aren't very good. These are a bit better. Sorry, they're from my iPhone.

Attachments

• 193.jpg
    193.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 196.jpg
    196.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 126

Lyssa

Reaction score
How long has she been doing that?

It could be that she just has to go to the bathroom or has a little gas, which isn't anything to be concerned about.. but I think normally the back end is what floats in that scenario ? Not too sure though.

When mine was smaller, I would find him floating occasionally. Normally it would go away on its own, once or twice when he seemed really unhappy about floating I put him in a shallow container of water and put him in the fridge for bit, and it went away :eek:

I am still a fairly new owner though, so you may want more opinions ! :p

dreadfulbliss

Reaction score
That one is actually a leucistic axolotl not albino. But mine would do the same but only when I put frozen water bottles in the tank to cool it down. He would hang out all day long near the bottle floating close to the surface. Maybe the water is cooler closer to the surface? Or maybe your axi is trying to move away from the water current if there is one. Your pics look like it's just hanging around the plants and that block thing. Could be good places to get away cause natural hides and regular hides block majority of water movement. I hope it passes. How long has it been doing this for?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Looks like a classic case of gas to me. It should pass on ita own in a few days.

What are you feeding them? If you're not already try them on earthworms - my floater was absolutely fine once I switched him over from bloodworms.

Bette

Reaction score
Yes, I agree with auntie jude. It should pass in a few days. And you said that it can eat still? Does it eat on the bottom then float back to the top?
By the way, I think " she " is a "he"! ;-)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1