Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What's in my tank?

dreadfulbliss

Reaction score
Not really sure if I'm posting in the right place so my apologies if I'm not, but I just wanted to know what the heck is in my tank. It's attached to the plant life. There wasn't anything on it last week and I check it today and there's this attached to the plant. I don't think it could be axolotl eggs because mine are still small about 4 inches. I thought they were still babies. Is it safe to keep in there? Should I remove them? Can anyone identify these mysterious eggs?

Attachments

• 20140828_113940.jpg
    20140828_113940.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 163
  • 20140828_113940-1.jpg
    20140828_113940-1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 189

dreadfulbliss

Reaction score
Snail eggs! almost ready for hatching by the look of them.

Are snail's ok to be tanked with axolotls? Should I remove them so they can hatch in a different tank or is this fine?

I know so many questions. Sorry. Any help would be much appreciated please and thank you :p

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yes, get rid of them. Otherwise you'll be battling snails forever.

Did you quarantine the plants before you put them in the tank? You need to isolate plants for a few weeks the same as any other living that goes into your tank.

dreadfulbliss

Reaction score
Yes, get rid of them. Otherwise you'll be battling snails forever.

Did you quarantine the plants before you put them in the tank? You need to isolate plants for a few weeks the same as any other living that goes into your tank.

No I didn't quarantine them. I assumed I didn't have to since I got it from the breeder same day as my axi's and they were all in the tank together. I'll take them out asap though. I've read that snail's can be used as feeders so long as they are soft shell. Is this true? Obviously I won't attempt this now as they are still only 4 inches, maybe when they get bigger, but still that's only if it's an ok food source.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I would leave them to to hatch, your axolotl will most likely eat them. If you find many more of them, you could take them out.

keiko

Reaction score
There's no harm in letting the snails stay in the tank. They're probably the kind that exists in most tanks and are very small. Your axies may or may not eat them. Mine don't so I just crush them when there seems to be a lot of them. Some people hate them, but I think they're actually quite fun to watch. Bigger snails should be avoided in axie tanks though.

And if the plants and axies came from the same tank, then there's no need to quarantine them.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as there's no build ups of nutrients in the tank the snails shouldn't have enough food to get out of hand. The eggs look like they're from the small Bladder snails, so I don't think they will be a risk to your axolotls if you decide to leave them.

dreadfulbliss

Reaction score
That's every one for all the replies. Awesomeness!!! I took them pity but if too think there is no harm I'm out it back in. I'll crush them like you said keiko if anything. And if they get too wild you'll see my freaking out posts lol. But you guys are awesome so I know I'll get responded quickly :D thanks again so much every one

usafaux2004

Reaction score
That's every one for all the replies. Awesomeness!!! I took them pity but if too think there is no harm I'm out it back in. I'll crush them like you said keiko if anything. And if they get too wild you'll see my freaking out posts lol. But you guys are awesome so I know I'll get responded quickly :D thanks again so much every one

No issues in our axie tank as it's not planted with real stuff, but we had a BIG issue with pond snails in our planted fish tank. Went to the fish store, got 6 assassin snails, and haven't seen pond snails in close to a year. I love assassin snails.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1