Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick juvenile, mouth open, lips look strange??

hhilgen2

Reaction score
Hello all,
We just purchased a juvenile axolotl a week and a half ago. He is in a 25 gallon tank with sand substrate. He had been doing really well..eating a couple earthworms or a half cube of brine shrimp daily. Yesterday I noticed that he was floating with his front legs about a half inch off the floor and his mouth was slightly open. He still ate, but regurgitated his worms yesterday. Today he is looking thin, floating at the top of the tank in the current, with his mouth open. His lips also look flat and somewhat thickened. Can somebody please help us?

There are no nitrites, nitrates, or chlorine in the tank when I checked the water yesterday. One of the guppies in the tank died, and I suspect he might have eaten it? It would be a very large meal for him as he is only about 4 inches long. The tank is about 74 degrees, which is warmer than we'd like...the heat here is awful is spite of a/c and we've been using ice bottles to try and lower it

Attachments

• 1409322254815.jpg
    1409322254815.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 893
  • 1409322475875.jpg
    1409322475875.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 384
  • 1409322340855.jpg
    1409322340855.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 392

hhilgen2

Reaction score
Another shot

Attachments

• 1409322955576.jpg
    1409322955576.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 459

keiko

Reaction score
Have you tested ammonia?
Did you find a dead fish or did it disappear? If it just disappeared it was probably eaten, but if you found it dead then there's probably ammonia or something else wrong with the water.

hhilgen2

Reaction score
The guppy was looking really poorly (had shredded fins from the filter) and was gone the next morning (assume it died and was eaten overnight). I don't have a test specifically for ammonia, but nitrites and nitrates were 0 ppm, total hardness was 75, chlorine was 0, alkalinity was about 120, and ph was about 7

keiko

Reaction score
You need to get a liquid test kit for ammonia. If your nitrates are 0 then your tank isn't cycled. You probably already have too much ammonia in the tank unless you have been doing big water changes daily. Ammonia is very toxic to axies and other animals. You need to learn about cycling asap (and don't use the quick start bacteria stuff, they're not good and have chemicals in them). Meanwhile it's best to take the axie in a separate container with daily 100% water changes.

hhilgen2

Reaction score
The tank has been cycling for about 3 weeks with live fish and a bio filter. The LFS said those numbers were great :( he's separated right now and we'll do aggressive water changes. Everything else in the tank is doing great, so it's really disheartening. Do you know what would be causing his lips to look that way? They almost look like he ran facefirst into glass or something. They're really flat and enlarged and almost have a fungus-like appearance to them. Thank you so much for your help!

hhilgen2

Reaction score
Just retested and nitrates are 10-20 ppm today. Nitrites zero. Still planning on getting an ammonia kit today and doing big water changes, but does that change anything??

keiko

Reaction score
Nitrate is the end product of the cycle so there would be nitrates if you have had animals in there and the cycle is ready. Right now judging by the readings you gave it looks like the cycle hasn't even started because there isn't nitrite either. Here are a couple of articles to take a look:
Caudata culture - cycling
Fishless cycling

I can't really see the lips in detail in the pictures (it's really hard to get a detailed picture of albino axies..), but from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be anything bad. Maybe they just look different with mouth open? I'll attach a picture of my wild type with her mouth slightly open. But if you can see a cut or fungus in the mouth area then you could try indian almond leaves at first.

Edit. If the nitrates are at 10-20 and nitrites are 0 then it's looking good so far. It's still good to test ammonia too though.

Attachments

• 2014-06-13 22.55.49.jpg
    2014-06-13 22.55.49.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 726

hhilgen2

Reaction score
Crud, I wish I could get a good picture. His lips definitely look strange and different from what they've been. They were normal looking, but open yesterday and today they look diseased. Is there anything else I can do for him aside from separating and keeping in a daily changed tank? I really do appreciate the advice and resources!

keiko

Reaction score
You could try indian almond leaves, they're mildly antibacterial and antifungal in case there is some kind of infection going on. Also try to get the water a bit cooler, axies heal generally very well, but high temperatures stress them and expose them to infections etc.

hhilgen2

Reaction score
Update: got ammonia test kit and it's reading at 0.25 ppm. Is that high enough to cause the signs I'm seeing? He's no better in isolation and his appetite is now completely gone :(

Cacique

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it would cause the issues, but the ammonia is at a point where you need a water change to bring it down. Good luck and hope your axie gets better.

snuggly time

Reaction score
Hi,

Indian Almond Leaves may help sooth his skin with the cycling. Also, you mentioned he was floating in the current... Is it a strong current, axolotls often get stressed if the filter is too strong.

hhilgen2

Reaction score
The current is a really low trickle filter at the top, so I think we're ok there. None of the plants move at all and neither axolotl has forward turned gills.

I haven't been able to find any leaves at any local stores. Other ideas? He's still very dumpy and inappetant. Lip lesions look.unchanged. I got him out as soon as I noticed obvious signs and was hoping he'd be at least minimally improved. I'm going to do a second major water change on the main tank today to ensure everyone there stays healthy.

The cruddy little store I got him from had him on small gravel that he's been pooping out (fluorescent orange!). Im wondering if he has an impaction AND some sort of bacterial or fungal lip infection.

Cacique

Reaction score
I wish I had more advice, but I just wanted to mention that I haven't seen indian almond leaves locally. I can't tell you if you'll be able to find them locally, but you can easily find them on Amazon, e-bay or aqua bids.

snuggly time

Reaction score
Yeah I get mine from ebay... They work wonders, they helped my axolotl when he was sick and I had a fish with a fungus eye the other week who is now looking healthy again.

If he continues not to improve perhaps fridge him for a little while to help him pass the gravel.

hhilgen2

Reaction score
Ordered. Thanks again for the help, everyone. Will keep updated if anything changes

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1