Illness/Sickness: Possible Edema?? And new to the forum!

Rodgeriego

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Firstly I would like to introduce myself I am new to the forum and the world of Axies!! I was given an axolotl yesterday after a friend had two that were beginning to fight and she knew I had wanted one for a few years so gave one to me!!

Unfortunately my first post is to do with a possible illness, I have a very old book about axolotls and in it, it has a picture of one with a very swollen cloaca, it says it's due to edema, a build up of fluids caused by heart damage. I may just be worried over nothing and maybe all axolotls have a slight lump here but I don't know!

Here is a picture of the possible problem:
3AQelSq
JMzpfvo.jpg

I am aware at the moment he/she is only on glass, I haven't had chance to get any sand/pebbles or slate (still undecided)

Thankyou for any input =)

t4XbIEUh.jpg

Last edited:
I believe you have just sexed your axolotl as a male.

Congratulations on your new boy.

This is an image of one of my males Io:

Attachments

• Io and Pascal.jpg
    Io and Pascal.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Yep it's a boy :). Nothing to worry about.

Personally I like sand. But make sure it is fine silica based sand. If you decide on pebbles, make sure they are bigger than the axolotls head. Axolotls have been known to swallow pebbles which can cause impaction and can be fatal so any pebbles must be big enough that they cannot be swallowed. The downside with pebbles is that food and waste can get lodged in crevices and it is a bit more tricky to maintain water quality.

Cheers guys! Awesome, glad to hear it, also glad it's a boy as it has a boys name!!
I've just bought some slate pebbles, they are bigger than its head, he seems to love it and is moving a bit more. I am going to upgrade to black sand as it does look really good and will be easier to clean. I'll have a good search online for some decent sand now!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back