Looking to Buy Axolotls in Sydney

Tevez

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there, recently joined the site after doing a bit of research on axolotls and deciding to get one or two for myself. The issue im currently having is that I am unable to find any suppliers near me. The pet shops I have visited either do not have them or are currently out for the next few months. If anyone knows of any places in Sydney (Australia) to purchase them I would be very appreciative. I was also wondering what age/size is good to aquire them. I was looking to purchase two however I have heard that if they are small they may nip and injure eachother so would I need two tanks or would one with a few places for each to hide be sufficient (Currently have roughly a 75 litre [20gallon] tank). I have seen one petstore about an hour and a half from my area which sells them however im not sure if that is too long a distance to be kept outside of a tank without stressing out or hurting the axolotle. Thanks for any help you guys could give.

Unfortunately a lot of suppliers have had trouble with their stock due to unknown deaths and defects (according to my local fish shop). Your best bet is private breeders off gumtree.

At the juvenile stage they can be nippy however with enough food, space and hides there shouldn't be a problem. I've had two grow up with each other from 1.5" to fully grown without problems. If this is your first time having an axolotl perhaps opt for an adult as juveniles needs to eat a lot more frequently and a lot more sensitive to water quality.

With tanks the more floor space the better, so if it's more of a high tank than long I suggest investing in a tank with a larger floor space :)

I know a breeder in Hunters Hill, not sure if he has any available at the moment, I can ask if you like. If you're not in a rush and want to raise some eggs I may have another clutch in a month,depends if my girl wants to spawn again, I sold the clutch of eggs being laid as I type today. I was going to have two from my last clutch for sale but my boyfriend decided we should keep them and sell one maybe two of our juvies, that is still being discussed and he already has a maybe buyer. Though this latest clutch has several sets of triplets, I am going to try and convince my boyfriend we should keep a couple sets so I may have some juvies for sale in a few months.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Ive been visiting a bunch more aquarium places asking about axolotls and so far only one place has a few on hand. They are the white type of axolotls, was more keen on wild type or something with a bit more colour (although they are around the size I was looking for, about 12cm). It turns out though that the tank I had which I thought was about 70 litres is only around 25 so will need to purchase a new tank. Am thinking of between 120 and 140 litres (2-3ft long). After getting new tank, stand (currently have one), filter, foliage and hiding places would there be anything else I would need for their home?

In response to you Axl Rose I would be interested if you could find out if your friend had any on hand. Im not really in a rush at the moment to get them as I still need to get all the parts and tank and then set it up. Im a bit worried about rearing some eggs as this will be the first time I will be having axolotls and fear I may harm them through my ignorance. I was also only looking to have between 1-4 (depending on tank size) and wouldn't I need quite a few eggs to ensure survival (and what happens if too many survive and my tank is over crowded :S). However if its not the case and rearing babies isn't too difficult I would probably be interested.

If you're looking at 4 axolotl you will need 3-4ft tank. Axolotls need floor space over height. My tank is 3ft and quite high, so to maximize floor space I made a 3d background with multiple levels so I have 4 in a 3ft tank and with the added floor space I could probably have 5 or 6 maximum.

Filter, hiding spots, plants to climb on/block out lights, a device to cool your tank if needed and a worm farm :). If looking at substrate please steer clear of gravel or rocks smaller than your axolotls head and jagged sand particles.

I have leucistics available in 2-4 weeks.

Delivered to your door.

Just waiting on boxes/bags/fastways dockets.

They have been hand raised on all the best live foods, and have just moved on to frozen bloodworm and 1mm sinking pellets.

Check out the pics in my other posts.

If you're interested just pm me and I'll put your details in the book.

Cheers,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back