Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: 2 week baby axolotls - sick

IluvLotls

Reaction score
I have approx 160 x 2 week old babies. Most of them are doing well, but there are quite a few floating at the top either upside down, on their side and lots of them have little bubbles inside them. Here are a few details :

1. They are being housed in a very large storage container
2. There is a sponge filter and air pump to create oxygenation in the water
3. We are using the water from the adults tank to do water changes every 2nd day - had water tested and it was OK.
4. Feeding them twice a day on either microworms and instant baby brine shrimp. Tried cutting up blood worms but theyre not really taking to it yet.
5. Only about 4 have died in total and they are almost 3 weeks old.
6. I have added some fresh plants to the water to help with oxygen

So what am I doing wrong ? This is a first for me with the axolotl breeding. I just want to know why alot of them look sick. :(:confused::confused::confused: Happy to share some photos if needed.

Thanks in advance for your help

IluvLotls

Reaction score
Here is a pic of one of them...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408694648287.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408694648287.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 202

auntiejude

Reaction score
Axies that young can be stressed by current from a filter, thats why most of us use smaller tubs with 100% daily water changes. By using water from the adults' tank you are just transferring waste - I would recommend fresh dechlorinated water instead.

Floating usually resolves itself, but if it persists I would consider culling them - its not worth the time and effort to try and save axies who probably won't thrive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!