Question: So my mom said I could save up for an axolotl......

NovaRose

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've been looking at Axolotls for awhile now, and I sent my mom a picture of one, she fell in love with the cuties, and said I could save up for one. But anyway, Axolotls are very hard to find in my area. I have never once saw one in Maine. So I'm ordering one online. The only site I found was Buy Axolotls. Com, and it would be $80 for the axi and shipping, is there any sites cheaper? I want a well started one, so about 3-4 inches because I heard 2 inch babies have special feeding requirements.:confused:

First of all please do not buy from that website. They are overpriced, and their website is inaccurate to the point of dangerous.

Check out the ads on here - there are loads of breeders who are much better value, and much more trustworthy.

Okay thank you so much! I'm glad I posted on here. Because I was set on buying from them. And I'll check them out!

Hi,

Be sure to check out the requirements on temperatures, tank sizes, filtration, and, most importantly, know what it means to cycle a tank/grow a biological filter.

You could also try to use facebook to search for people in your area that have axolotls for sale, or nationally that will ship ('Axolotl Land' seems like a nice enough FB group, whose members I see here on caudata.org).

Craigslist is another possible resource, although let your mom handle that.

You might also have a local herpetological group in your area that could have more info, or even enthusiasts who have some to sell or even give away to people they know will provide a good home (like people who take the time and effort and cycle tanks :happy:).

There are -cons and -expos that happen every so often that have everything from reptiles to amphibians to tarantulas as well.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: sde
I think I read somewhere that they are illegal in maine

Seth just posted some rulings about the state of Maine, that he found. It can be read in the

Herpetological Science & Politics (3 Viewing)
Sub-Forums:

section. Click on Laws/Legality and Ethics and look for Seth's post.
T. :animal:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back