Is he heat stressed?

giventofly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Emily
Hi all, I wanted to share some pics of my adult wildtype lotl. I'm concerned that he may be suffering from heat stress because of the pale cloudy patches on his head near his gills. My tank is in the basement of our house and it's the coolest part right now. The temperature has been pretty constant at 73 degrees F which I know is high. I don't have money for a chiller and am not able to be at home to change ice water bottles during the day. Should I get a fan? Any other tips?

P.S. My wildtype is still eating voraciously and seems healthy as can be! I'm just concerned.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409607281.603892.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409607297.685331.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409607324.667677.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409607353.635554.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He doesn't look terrible but the heat is taking its toll. Can u move the aquarium to the floor? And can you move it to a basement as well? I've taken a wet towel and hung it over the tank and placed a fan on mine before, it worked real nice.

im looking into the tank cooling problem right now aswell. yeah chillers are REAL expansive, especially if u have a larger tank. i have been looking up how to make a chiller on my free time and i found this video, looks easy to make and much cheaper than a store bought chiller. its the mini fridge method u might have heard of. i looked up on craigslist and there are literally clean and well functioning mini fridges for $25 in my area, u might wanna check this option out. here is the link to the DIY video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5s8Cu59-NM
i will definitely try to make one when i get some free time from school work.

also if u need a real cheap and quick fix i had an idea that i did not implement yet. it was just a thought. its the same method as a mini fridge except u would use a simple picnic cooler and those thin clear siphon tubing. drill holes on each side of the cooler and stick one end of the tubing through it. the middle of the tubing stays in the cooler coiled up. one end is secured inside the tank as the input and the other should be outside of the tank yet when water comes out should go into the tank. you would fill the cooler with a bag of ice in the morning and i imagine with enough ice it should last the whole day. the only major problem i see is not being able to properly control its affects on the temperature. u could experiment with different lenghts of tubing.

just a thought. when i do try one or the other method ill make a post on my experience and how well it works etc. till then best of luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back