Moving

Nachtmare

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Trenton
Ok so in a few weeks I will be moving for school. It's not far away only about 45 min. My question is whats the best way to transport them. I know putting them in a container or my little 3 gallon tank and just have someone hold that tank. But Iwanna try to move my axies without freaking them out. I definitely do not wanna use a net or my hand.
So yea just wondering how do any of you guys actually move your axies such as dipping a bowl in the tank and getting them like that or what?

As always thank you everyone for your knowledge and help.

I wouldn't recommend using the tank, the water would splash around a lot.
I use a net to catch my axies and put them in small plastic containers with a lid on. Use clean cool water and fill the container almost to the top. I then put the containers in a bag, a frozen water bottle next to them to make sure it stays cool in there and then fill the bag with towels etc so that the containers won't move around in there.

Just from experience I can say that catching the axies with a net is a lot faster and less stressful than anything else. You could try catching them with the plastic containers, but I know my axies absolutely hate it and freak out right away.

Keiko has great advice, but I would like to add that you should also transport them in separate containers to avoid them injuring each others accidentally.

Thank you guys. I was thinking about using a net but the one i have is not that big so I figured it would do more harm than good. But good to know others use a net.

I wouldn't recommend using the tank, the water would splash around a lot.

i agree, thats wht i did the first time i moved an axy. the constant splashing of the water freaks them out alot... and it was only a 10 min ride. My suggestion would be use a big plastic bag, like the ones they use in petshops to sell fish in but obviously bigger. there wont be a splash problem especially if u have someone hold the bag in the air when the car comes to a stop or accelerates. the bag moves with the water, not against it therefore i find it to be a better method. Thats how i returned my bio teachers axolotl to school in the end of the summer. he seemed way less stressed. as for getting him out of the tank, i tried the bowl in the tank method, the lil buggers are fast and will most likely outrun the bowl. the 30 min of chasing after him will be more stressful than a 30 second of using a net. use a big net, the biggest u can find for fish at petshops. easieer to catch, i would also think less likely to hurt the axy'sgills

Great idea with the bag. Help smooth out the bumpy roads, at least a little. Now I just need the big net haha

If your axolotl is used to being handled you might be able to do it by hand without much issue too. When I went to change my axolotl to his new tank I realized his net was tiny, bought when we got him at 2.5 inches and no way would it work at 7 inches. We filled a small plastic tub with old tank water and I transferred him to that by hand. He tried to move away from my hands but didn't really fight or freak out, and it seemed like the move from the tank to tub was quite fast and he just kind of sat there when in the tub, and same thing when putting him in the newer tank.

I'm pretty sure I freaked out more than he did.

Using a colander works quite well for catching them.

I also have a few questions. I am moving my two lotls on a fairly long journey. I have separate tupperware tubs for them but I was wondering if I should use tank water for the tubs or fresh dechlorinated water? I think fresh would be best, since it should be clean but what do you guys think?

Also, should I feed before the journey, or not? I think the stress of the journey might just induce vomiting, and I would rather they didn't vomit up a whole stomach of worms!

Use fresh dechlorinated water and don't feed because even if they don't vomit they will still go to the bathroom and that will foul up the water. Axolotls can survive a few days without food without any harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back