Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Micro Worms: food or harmful parasite?

magick

Reaction score
I read the thread about feeding nematodes to baby newts/newt larvae. There seems to be some debate on wether that's safe. I have the tiniest baby newts. They still only have front legs. I've been struggling to find a food source for them. Today I noticed some micro worms sticking out of the pebbles on the bottom. I took some pics and was hoping someone may be able to identify if them and if they're afe and/or a good food source. I've also attached a current pic of a baby newts.
Thank you!

Attachments

• PhotoEditor-1409873843094.jpg
    PhotoEditor-1409873843094.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 385
  • PhotoEditor-1409873782720.jpg
    PhotoEditor-1409873782720.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 642
  • 20140903_091616-1.jpg
    20140903_091616-1.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 422

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I read the thread about feeding nematodes to baby newts/newt larvae. There seems to be some debate on wether that's safe. I have the tiniest baby newts. They still only have front legs. I've been struggling to find a food source for them. Today I noticed some micro worms sticking out of the pebbles on the bottom. I took some pics and was hoping someone may be able to identify if them and if they're afe and/or a good food source. I've also attached a current pic of a baby newts.
Thank you!

Not sure about the worms but the substrate looks pretty dirty so I would recommend cleaning that trapped waste out and think about switching to sand/bare-bottom to avoid a buildup of waste underneath the stone.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've fed older larvae on whatever the worm/insect larvae is in the first picture is. Those babies look painfully thin, if they are still alive I would recommend putting them in the fridge to slow their metabolism while you hatch some brine shrimp larvae or locate some live daphnia.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1