Unusual Coloration

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
I found a bunch of unusually colored axolotls from the same clutch of eggs a few months ago. It'll be interesting to see what they turn out like as full grown adults. Right now they are 6-7 inches. Here are some photos from when they were a couple inches....

Attachments

• 104_3956.jpg
    104_3956.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 104_3964.jpg
    104_3964.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 104_3960.jpg
    104_3960.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 104_3847.jpg
    104_3847.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 716
  • 378816_2721899203742_1127039496_n.jpg
    378816_2721899203742_1127039496_n.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 227
  • 104_4180.jpg
    104_4180.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 233
I still have them all, here are a few of them today, you can see their color has changed quite a bit.

Attachments

• 104_4235.jpg
    104_4235.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 104_4234.jpg
    104_4234.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 104_4232.jpg
    104_4232.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 285
very very cool! if i remember my colour variants correctly those are chimeric right? the glow in the dark part is very interesting, is it bc one of the parents is GFP? for some reason from my bio class i remember learning tht u cant pass on acquired characteristics but maybe tht does not apply to axys? non the less they are very beautiful :)

Jake, those are some very special axolotls you have! But I am sure you already know that:happy:
Very cool:cool:

very very cool! if i remember my colour variants correctly those are chimeric right? the glow in the dark part is very interesting, is it bc one of the parents is GFP? for some reason from my bio class i remember learning tht u cant pass on acquired characteristics but maybe tht does not apply to axys? non the less they are very beautiful :)

I believe an animal that is different on either side is called a bilateral gynandromorph, but I have been fooled before. "Chimera" just means not possible in reality. Their father is gfp, normally the offspring will either express it or not, but several of them do on just part of their bodies.

I believe an animal that is different on either side is called a bilateral gynandromorph, but I have been fooled before. "Chimera" just means not possible in reality. Their father is gfp, normally the offspring will either express it or not, but several of them do on just part of their bodies.

my bio teacher will love this, she runs labs where we make bacteria glow with the GFP in plasmids

Do you plan on/have you already bred the parents multiple times with similar results in the offspring? I've heard of axolotls that favor producing multiple embryos per egg but yours would be truly unique if you had a trait like this being passed down or controlled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you plan on/have you already bred the parents multiple times with similar results in the offspring? I've heard of axolotls that favor producing multiple embryos per egg but yours would be truly unique if you had a trait like this being passed down or controlled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had around 20 of them over the last few years and all of them were related to the same adults (not necessarily the same pairing). I honestly think it's because of the numbers I raise. You're more likely to get one out of thousands than if you just raise a dozen.

The last one reminds me a bit of "Pirate". Same parents?

Regards Neil

No, but the father is one of Pirate's offspring, they do look very similar and this one looks to be a female too. :D

I love them! do you ever sell the babies?

Omgshhhhhhh absolutely gorgeous axolotls you have them. You are so fortunate to have those! I love them!

I love them! do you ever sell the babies?

I would consider it.

You are so fortunate to have those! I love them!

I think more people would have them if they'd stop messing around only raising a few dozen or a few hundred at a time. If they would just get serious and raise thousands I'm sure plenty of people would have them.

I want one of the funky wild looking ones! totally jealous. I absolutely love wildtypes and weird leucistic spotted looking axies. so unique!

I agree with you, the more you raise, the better the chances that you will get some interesting looking young, but most people aren't capable of rearing large numbers... they die off, or get culled down to numbers that the person who bred their axies can manage. it's unfortunate because really to get a nice variety you need to know how to cull appropriately if that's what you are going to do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back