Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Are they stressed

Saltandpepper

Reaction score
Hi all,
My husband and I are new to having axolotls,
We have done lots of research and finally got our 2 5days ago.
They are both eating fine and seem, what I believe is normal yet their gills seem to always be forward... Does this really mean they are stressed?
They aren't forward to the point of touching their heads but just always tilted forward.
All the tank stats are excellent....
I've attached pics of one of them...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 182

keiko

Reaction score
The gills do seem to be curled forward more than axies usually have, but I don't think they're too bad. It might just be the stress from moving and being in a new tank.
What are your exact ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and temperature? What kind of filter do you have, is the current produced by the filter strong?

Saltandpepper

Reaction score
Hi, the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all 0. Ph is 7.4-7.6 and temp is 19
Oh and the filter is one with the stick that the water comes out of. I have it coming out against the glass, as I read this is best to minimise current

Last edited:

Saltandpepper

Reaction score
I'm just supper worried, the albino always seems worse than the other gills are always curled and some days they have nice colour others they seem quite light. This one is also not as active as the other

keiko

Reaction score
If the nitrate is 0 then your tank is probably not cycled? Keep testing the water regularly and make enough water changes to make sure ammonia and nitrite stay under 0.5 and nitrate under 40.
The gills change color according to the axie's activity level: more active -> need more oxygen -> more bloodflow to the gills -> bright red gills.
I guess they could still be stressed from the move and new surroundings so just keep an eye on them a few more days and see if anything changes. Maybe get some plants that would provide some shade and safety to them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1