Breeding setup advice

MThompson299

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael
Hello everyone,

So I am pretty sure there is a thread on this already I just have not come across it yet. I was just wondering if I could get some help on what I would need and some general steps to breed axolotls? I know this is a general and broad topic. Me and my partner have koi and have added axolotls to our fascination to the point that my partner is thinking of actually redesigning one of our rooms in the basement in to an axolotl and koi room as well as building us a shelving system. So I just thought I would reach out for some tips, tricks, and advice! Thanks in advance to everyone!

Oh definitely been reading up and referring to that site just looking for tips from other's personal experience.

It seems that lowering the temp triggers a response and mimics their natural changing seasons. My roommate decided to raise our temp by 3 degrees during the day when we were all in class a few weeks back which sent my tank over 73F for about 8 hours. By the time I caught on most of my guys had fungus. They are doing better now and are all healing well but when I changed the temp back down I guess even fungus wasn't going to stop them from breeding. Now I have a good amount of eggs. My advice would be get those plastic plants and put them in so you can easily remove most of the eggs.

Before you start breeding please consider what you're going to do with the babies - it's no good raising hundreds of axie larvae only to find you can't rehome them.

If you just want the experience of raising some babies and intend to keep them then keep a handful of eggs and sell/destroy the rest.

Well I would definitely not destroy any unless there was genetic or health issues. There is a pretty big demand in atlanta for them and have already gotten in contact with some people for distribution and to sell them. First and foremost before we breed ours my partner is going to actually finish creating an entire room in our house with filtration and tank setups just in case I cannot rego me them as quick as we hope. I do not want to risk the chance of losing any of them or being irresponsible about breeding them just on a whim.

I already donated a few to my schools lab which most times will accept them for classes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I would definitely not destroy any unless there was genetic or health issues.
You cannot raise an entire batch of eggs - axies can lay over 1000 eggs at a time, so you need to decide how many to keep, and freeze the rest of the eggs to prevent them developing. This is normal and recommended practice with axies.

Please remember how cannibalistic youngsters can be....are you going to raise each one seperately, or risk loss of limbs or worse.Raising baby brine shrimps for the hatchlings drove me mad...and I was only feeding six babies. It took an hour to sort out feeding, daily or twice daily water changes as the bbs foul the water rapidly....I can't imagine how you would cope with hundreds at once.

Please remember how cannibalistic youngsters can be....are you going to raise each one seperately, or risk loss of limbs or worse.Raising baby brine shrimps for the hatchlings drove me mad...and I was only feeding six babies. It took an hour to sort out feeding, daily or twice daily water changes as the bbs foul the water rapidly....I can't imagine how you would cope with hundreds at once.

The trick is to do what I did - use a larger volume of water.

If you plan on keeping a bunch of them and wanted to avoid the nipping, I find the cheapest way is buying a bunch of plastic containers from a dollar store and putting them individually in there. Water changes are easy, you can monitor how much food each have eaten, and it keeps all body parts solid :D downside is you need the space and time to do it this way.

If you plan on keeping a bunch of them and wanted to avoid the nipping, I find the cheapest way is buying a bunch of plastic containers from a dollar store and putting them individually in there. Water changes are easy, you can monitor how much food each have eaten, and it keeps all body parts solid :D downside is you need the space and time to do it this way.
Well I am about to take a break from school and my partner is actually setting up a spare room entirely for our axolotls as well as a few koi (our babies so we can reduce competition for food).

Well Michael, once you get going and set up maybe we could swap babies or eggs! I keep a very detailed record of parentage and I'm always looking to expand the gene pool I currently have. :D

i read somewhere tht u should use high quality plastic or best of all glass containers because chemicals in cheap plastic can eventually leak into the water and kill ur babies, idk how true this is but i dont think dollar store plastic would be too high quality, however tht would seem like an efficient and practical solution

It is true that plastics will eventually leach into the water, but thats after long term use or if the plastic is heated up with water in it. Thats why we are not suppose to drink a water bottle thats been sitting in a hot car because that plastic is very thin and leaches easily into water when heated! :)

i read somewhere tht u should use high quality plastic or best of all glass containers because chemicals in cheap plastic can eventually leak into the water and kill ur babies, idk how true this is but i dont think dollar store plastic would be too high quality, however tht would seem like an efficient and practical solution
I have raised hundreds of babies in cheap plastic takeaway tubs and storage boxes without problems. Any plastic food container will be safe for axie larvae, and long as they are cleaned properly during water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back