First time trying to hatch eggs...

cherryglue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our female laid a bunch of eggs last night, gonna try and hatch them. i have a small tank and bubbler that i am going to get set up, ive found a local pet store that carries brine shrimp eggs and have read through most of the basics posted on this board. is there anything else i should be keeping an eye out for? common problems? any input would be much appreciated :D

just basic stuff, keep the water clean and cool. you might wanna get some whiteworms. they work pretty well for feeding babies.

First of all, figure out what you're going to do with the babies, then decide how many to raise. I suggest keeping 20 eggs and freezing the rest for a first time.

Figure out how long it takes to hatch BBS, be prepared with a backup such as daphnia or microworms, and get a good few plastic tubs ready for hatchlings.

You have about 2 weeks to prepare for hatchlings.

And you might want to consider separating male and female axies - this can happen every 3-4 weeks through the winter and that wil exhaust your female.

First of all, figure out what you're going to do with the babies, then decide how many to raise. I suggest keeping 20 eggs and freezing the rest for a first time.

Figure out how long it takes to hatch BBS, be prepared with a backup such as daphnia or microworms, and get a good few plastic tubs ready for hatchlings.

You have about 2 weeks to prepare for hatchlings.

And you might want to consider separating male and female axies - this can happen every 3-4 weeks through the winter and that wil exhaust your female.

will the eggs survive freezing? :O thats new!

will the eggs survive freezing? :O thats new!

Freezing will stop the eggs from developing ie. kills them. It should be done before their nervous system develops.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back