Hexagon tank for fire bellies

RainbowPham

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello friends! I am new to this site, because I am doing extensive research on fire belly newts in debate of getting these new friends :)...

I have a 35 gallon hexagon tank, with 13 gallons of water inside (with the rocks it fills to about half way) there are also two floating decorations . Tank has been cycling for one week now.

I am planning on ordering plants but I'd like to know the best kinds to get, given my set up. I want one larger potted plant so that it can sit above the water as another piece of land, also was going to get some repti rope to swing around the empty air space for some climbing! Also- having trouble finding underwater plants around here, where is a good place to order them??

Please let me know what you think! Within my research i haven't found many people housing newts in a hexagon tank, but I think I'm fitting most of their requirements??

Of course I won't be getting them until I am 100% ready!

Attachments

• imagejpg1_zps16a64409.jpg
    imagejpg1_zps16a64409.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 589
  • imagejpg2_zps8b989086.jpg
    imagejpg2_zps8b989086.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 798
  • imagejpg1_zps98fae6a9.jpg
    imagejpg1_zps98fae6a9.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,130
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the thing, elaborate set-ups with deep substrates and difficult access are not practical at all and can potentially lead to many problems.
It's also important to note that these newts behave 100% aquatic in captivity if conditions are adequate which means that there will be no climbing and no real use for any terrestrial or aereal surfaces. Instead, all that volume should be filled with water if you want them to make use of it. A larger volume is also highly benefitial not just for extra space but also because it will be more thermically and chemically stable, making maintenance much easier and providing a better environment.
The stones can be a problem, trapping large amounts of debris and uneaten foods where the organic matter can rot and mess with your parametres and even, potentially, create lethal conditions.
I know the visual impact of elaborate, naturalistic set-ups is like a drug but unfortunately it requires a lot of maintenance which in such a set-up would be difficult and it's far more impractical as well as risky.
I would strongly recomment rethinking the set-up, perhaps going for something simpler with a thin layer of sand as substrate and some decoration with an abundance of plants, or if you want something more elaborate it might be a good idea to consider creating a fake bottom with glued, secure rocks, sealing the spaces in between with adequate products and preventing the accumulation of debris and potential accidents. You can do some pretty attractive designs with some easy techniques. There are examples of such things in these forums and others.

Anyway, as far as plants go, there are many that work well in caudate tanks but some of the most popular are java moss, java fern (Microsorium), Elodea, Anubias, Hydrocotyle, Vallisneria...
All of those do well in low light and tolerate the cold conditions required by caudates, plus some of those make excellent laying substrates for their eggs.

well.. there goes that idea then! I spent too much time collecting these rocks to take them all out and get rid of them! Lol shame I bought those floaters. Is there any type of newt that lives in these kinds of conditions and wouldnt have issues? I will start looking into other frogs and whatnot...

Eventually I still want a newt, I can make a 20 gallon up for my studio, with simple subtrate and a horizontal style tank.. but since im already here id like to go someone who can live here. Can you point me in a helpful direction?
Thanks so much! Better to know now than later the mistake I almost made.

Well, personally, I can't stand hexagon tanks, they're a lot harder to use a siphon in. The rocks would be an issue with everything that requires food and creates waste, so basically everything. So I can't really point you in the direction of anything, maybe someone else could.
I have however kept bettas and guppies in hexagon tanks, but that was when I was dumb and dumped all the tank water in the toilet each month to "clean".
Personally I would sell the hexagon tank and purchase or make a 20 Long aquarium.

of course it's not.. My luck, I got it, because it fits in the gap in the wall.. And matches the room. I've never actually had a hexagon tank, this is probably why.... I'm very clean so honestly i am not worried about the cleaning part.

Well, wish me luck on frogs because I don't want to scratch and start over.

You are going to have the same issues no matter the occupant. The rocks are mobile so they can cause injury and they will trap debris no matter how clean you are. I sympathize, it's hard to let go of a set-up that you like, but think of it this way, what matters more, the well-being of the inhabitants or using all the rocks you collected?
You could keep the superficial appearance without the depth and crevices if you created a fake bottom and glued the rocks on top, but it would take some work.

A 20 or 30 regular tank would be better. Also u need a lid and completely secure right. Newts will climb out
3e808095dd9a1c95c23865448a61d70d.jpg

A 20 or 30 regular tank would be better. Also u need a lid and completely secure right. Newts will climb out
3e808095dd9a1c95c23865448a61d70d.jpg

Just somethings on your enclosure, switching to sand or bare-bottom would be much better(reasons above), and is that a heater and fish? What temp is the water, whats in the tank, etc.

Heater is shut off. In less it gets freezing point

The rocks work fine. I put a glass jar for the worms. The newts go right in to eat. Works out well
01db4684cd91d4bc48616fc4acb6fde7.jpg

Stones are usually considered a problem because of waste. Food can be a problem but not all of it. Unless your newts are somehow trained to poop in a jar, waste is getting trapped under the rocks, Personally bare-bottom or sand look much better and its much easier to clean, my siphon doesn't even suck up much sand when its put directly on the sand, then again I don't have a fancy electronic siphon. I also recommend more hides, I often see N. kaiseri enclosures with several hides and crevices and stuff.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back