Axolotl sick? Shedding skin and white gills

esKaye

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Please help! 2 days ago I upgraded my axolotl from a 10 L tank to approximately 30 L tank (49" x 13"). I did not take the time to cycle it as she does quite well with heavy and frequent water changes. The previous tank only had large rocks and this tank I've put fine sand down.
Moving on, yesterday I noticed that her gills had turned white, and today it looks like her skin is peeling. Yesterday she was also surfacing for air frequently which she never did, so I added a second filter to help oxygen and it's seemed to have helped. I also realize after watching several videos of axolotls that they move a lot. Mine has always been quite sluggish and so remains the same now. She's also patting her gills quite frequently but I think that may be due to the current since there are 2 filters. The main filter is good for up to 50 L so I know it's sufficient.
Any and all help is appreciated!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410479762.528257.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410479815.910638.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410479825.944083.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410479837.094550.jpg

not sure about your skin but based on one of your photos i think "she" might be a "he" :)

not sure about your skin but based on one of your photos i think "she" might be a "he" :)

Haha thank you! I thought it was a boy but then they didn't quite look like actual testes! I will now refer to him as "he".

Still need help with figuring out what's going on though. And why he's always been so sluggish?

There's probably something wrong with the water that causes the shedding. Have you tested ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? What's the temperature?
Axies don't like the water to move too much so make sure the current isn't strong especially if you have two filters. Your tank is also way too small for an axie. Axies can grow to over 30cm and need a lot of space. Bigger aquarium also helps keep the temperature more stable and ammonia and nitrite levels won't get to toxic levels as quickly.

There's probably something wrong with the water that causes the shedding. Have you tested ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? What's the temperature?
Axies don't like the water to move too much so make sure the current isn't strong especially if you have two filters. Your tank is also way too small for an axie. Axies can grow to over 30cm and need a lot of space. Bigger aquarium also helps keep the temperature more stable and ammonia and nitrite levels won't get to toxic levels as quickly.

Thanks Keiko! I don't have all the testers, and I know I need to get on that, but I had put the appropriate amount of primer in initially, and the municipal water levels for my area are 7.3pH. He's actually his normal self today, and I think all it was was skin shedding. And in regards to the tank size, he's got just over 4 feet in length for the tank. Is that still considered too small? I understand they can get quite large and have no issues with expanding the tank as he grows, but figured 4' of walking space was sufficient. If not, what is ideal? He's currently 18 weeks old.

4 feet in length is great. I thought you meant 30 L as 30 liters in your first post. But 4 feet is plenty for an axie. :)

I'd suggest getting liquid test kits asap. You can get for example Api master test kit on ebay pretty cheap and it has all the most important tests. Meanwhile it's good to do daily water changes just to be sure the water stays good.

4 feet in length is great. I thought you meant 30 L as 30 liters in your first post. But 4 feet is plenty for an axie. :)

I'd suggest getting liquid test kits asap. You can get for example Api master test kit on ebay pretty cheap and it has all the most important tests. Meanwhile it's good to do daily water changes just to be sure the water stays good.

Sorry I meant gallons and not litres :confused: Haha!
Thanks again for your help! He's back to normal now, but I will definitely get to ebay. I do have another questions since you're clearly active and know a bit. I'm trying to find a good staple food for him since he's gotten a lot larger. I've purchased earth worms, and he ate one, but has not touched them since (2 days ago). He actually seems put off by them and swims in the opposite direction when he comes into contact. And I've searched for the other items recommended but they're hard to find.

Thanks Keiko! I don't have all the testers, and I know I need to get on that, but I had put the appropriate amount of primer in initially, and the municipal water levels for my area are 7.3pH. He's actually his normal self today, and I think all it was was skin shedding. And in regards to the tank size, he's got just over 4 feet in length for the tank. Is that still considered too small? I understand they can get quite large and have no issues with expanding the tank as he grows, but figured 4' of walking space was sufficient. If not, what is ideal? He's currently 18 weeks old.
Just an FYI you can get a 500 test testing kit which includes pH, Nitrites, Ammonia, and phosphates on amazon for only like $18-$20. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJNN0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is called API Pondcare Master Liquid Test Kit.

I'm trying to find a good staple food for him since he's gotten a lot larger. I've purchased earth worms, and he ate one, but has not touched them since (2 days ago). He actually seems put off by them and swims in the opposite direction when he comes into contact. And I've searched for the other items recommended but they're hard to find.

What kind of earth worms do you have? Eisenia fetida excretes this foul tasting stuff so some axies simply refuse to eat them. Usually they'll get used to it if you persist with them, but you could also try blanching them by pouring a splash of boiling water on the worm and then cold water to stop it from cooking. Some axies also don't like it when the worms are wriggling too much so blanching would help with that too. Just keep trying the worms, he'll learn to love them. Axies don't necessarily need to be fed every day so if he doesn't eat for a few days, it's fine. If he still after a few days refuses the worms then give him what you fed him before and then worms again the next time.

What kind of earth worms do you have? Eisenia fetida excretes this foul tasting stuff so some axies simply refuse to eat them. Usually they'll get used to it if you persist with them, but you could also try blanching them by pouring a splash of boiling water on the worm and then cold water to stop it from cooking. Some axies also don't like it when the worms are wriggling too much so blanching would help with that too. Just keep trying the worms, he'll learn to love them. Axies don't necessarily need to be fed every day so if he doesn't eat for a few days, it's fine. If he still after a few days refuses the worms then give him what you fed him before and then worms again the next time.

I'm not sure what earthworms? I was and now am back to feeding him frozen bloodworms but it's just so messy! And he has to eat so much just to maintain his weight I feel. He did eat one earthworm in the beginning and I left some in the tank as they are able to survive but he always just swims in the opposite direction if he comes into contact with one. I purchased wax worms yesterday but he only seemed to eat it because I had to mix it into the bloodworms. So I know he was hungry but he's so damn picky!!!

Wax worms shouldn't be used as a staple because they have pretty high fat content, they're more of a treat. Earth worms also have better nutritional value than bloodworms.
Have you tried blanching the worms and maybe chopping it in smaller pieces? You could also mix those with bloodworms at first.

Wax worms shouldn't be used as a staple because they have pretty high fat content, they're more of a treat. Earth worms also have better nutritional value than bloodworms.

Have you tried blanching the worms and maybe chopping it in smaller pieces? You could also mix those with bloodworms at first.

Chopping up the worms isn't ideal... For me. Wouldn't mind doing extra work if it didn't involve chopping up worms. >_<
Feeding him the bloodworms is really annoying now because he's such a messy eater and I'm having to clean the tank everyday which isn't ideal either. I've even put out a plate for him in the tank at an attempt to minimize the mess. Any other suggestions for a staple food?

There are pellets that are made for axolotls. I use Axobalance axolotl pellets but there are other pellets too. I think someone on this forum sells some. Don't know if they ship to where you live though, but you could ask. Here's a link: pellets.

Yes, pellets are great! Just try to hand feed(drop pellet over tip of nose so axie can see it and hopefully take it immediately). Don't overfeed, and use turkey baster to suck up uneaten food after a few hours. They naturally hunt for food at night, too.

There are pellets that are made for axolotls. I use Axobalance axolotl pellets but there are other pellets too. I think someone on this forum sells some. Don't know if they ship to where you live though, but you could ask. Here's a link: pellets.

Awesome thanks for all your help! When he was younger I fed him dried shrimp and he loved them! But I don't see much nutritional value so a good staple food would help SO MUCH!

Yes, pellets are great! Just try to hand feed(drop pellet over tip of nose so axie can see it and hopefully take it immediately). Don't overfeed, and use turkey baster to suck up uneaten food after a few hours. They naturally hunt for food at night, too.

Thank you! The turkey baster is a great idea! So much easier than bringing out the vacuum pump! ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back