Getting Rid of Algae

JustKenna

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is brown algae growing on the side of my axolotl's tank and I was wondering if this will be harmful to him? I do water changes but I think the reason it is there is because I don't have any snails or other cleaning fish in the tank like in my fish tanks. How do I get rid of it? Would it be bad to put him in a smaller cycled tank for a day or two and put a couple of plecos in his tank?

It shouldn't cause any health issues. I think it's just not pretty to look at. I just cleaned my betta's tank from the same thing (and have done it on my axolotl's tank too). I just take a tank glass magnet cleaner (or an aquarium glass sponge would do, and as you siphon the water out, hold the tube over the area of the glass you're scrubbing. The filter should pick up anything left in the tank and it should go away, at least for a while.

Algae is harmless to axies, but the cause is often too much light and/or high nitrates.

Once you have got rid of it - I also use the scrub and syphon methid - you need to work on preventing a recurrence. Some people find live plants help absorb the nitrates and keep algae down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back