Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter "Shield" Design

jett862

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a waterfall power filter, and while it works quite well, I wanted to diminish the resulting water current from the filter return.

To that end I cut a slice of eggcrate, covered it in javamoss, and wrapped it in cheesecloth. Next, I used suction cups to hold it against the side of the tank where the filter returned; however, the cheesecloth quickly disintegrated and I was left with just the eggcrate.

I have two issues I'd like suggestions for:

How can I mount, perpendicularly to the wall, a piece of eggcrate? Would I have to use a marine epoxy to fix the eggcrate to the suction cups? (It no longer sits at a 90* angle after the cheesecloth dissolved.)

Second, what is a marine-safe cloth I can use to cover the egg-crate and hold the moss down? The eventual goal is for the moss to grow through the fabric. Would landscaping cloth work?

Thanks in advance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!