Can axolotls get worms?

JodeeC

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all, I saw the strangest worm swimming in my aquarium just after lights went out tonight - it was approx an inch long and was a pinky red, thin and seemed to have a lot of tiny hairs/legs. I wasn't able to catch it to get a better look at it. My question is can axolotls get worms? and if so how do i treat them...... TIA

Yes, they can get parasites. If you are concerned, take a fresh fecal sample to a vet for analysis. They should be able to identify whether parasitic worms are present and give you an identification so you can treat for them. Different parasites may require different treatments.

Were the legs all on one end? It sounds like a midge larvae. It probably is not an axolotl parasite. Is it possible for you to take a picture?

Were the legs all on one end? It sounds like a midge larvae. It probably is not an axolotl parasite. Is it possible for you to take a picture?

I wasn't able to take a picture as It buried itself in the sand and i haven't been able to find it since...... It was pink and long (probably close to an inch and a half) i didn't get a good look at it to tell if it had legs all at one end or not ........ I will see if i can google midge larvae and see if it looked like that. Thanks for the replies :)

Sounds like a fresh water bristleworm to me. They are not parasites and are not supposed to be dangerous like some of the salt water species, mostly eat rotting plants and other detritus. I've seen them in wild conditions on a couple of occasions but never in aquaria. Have you harvested any vegetation, rocks, wood or substrate from a wild pond or stream to use in your tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back