Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Baby axolotls not eating??

Ruth

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently got 2 new baby axys, about 4-5cm in length. Because I'm nowhere near any pet shop I made sure with the breeder that they were able to eat earthworms ( that I have cut into small pieces ) the first day, and yesterday, they ate them but today keep spitting them out. Are they full? How often should I be feeding them?

Attachments

• 1410641291854.jpg
    1410641291854.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 518

Ruth

Reaction score
OK, I think they're actually dieing :( they're just floating, sometimes upside down, only moving every so often and the tips of their tales and gills have started to curl. They're in de-chlorinated water so I don't think its a water quality problem. They were sent to me 2 days ago in overnight postage, could the trip have stressed them?

Boomsloth

Reaction score
when was the last time you changed the water? two days is enough time to cause ammonia to build up especially in such a small container.

Ruth

Reaction score
That container in the above pic isnt what they live in, that was what i put them in while changing their water. I changed it yesterday afternoon, I was told daily changes are best for young axys is that right? Also I've put them in my shed where its dark and cool, its not hot weather here at the moment so their water temp isn't higher than what it should be

Bette

Reaction score
OK, I think they're actually dieing :( they're just floating, sometimes upside down, only moving every so often and the tips of their tales and gills have started to curl. They're in de-chlorinated water so I don't think its a water quality problem. They were sent to me 2 days ago in overnight postage, could the trip have stressed them?

I personally wouldn't ship axies that small... they are probably very stressed. Keep them cool, do daily water changes, and offer them other food options like white worms, frozen blood worms, chopped black worms, etc.

Ruth

Reaction score
So they still seem to be dying, its pretty horrible. I find them floating on their backs with an air bubble sitting in their mouths so I think they've finally passed, but then I touch them and they wiggle away. I've offered a variety of food but neither of them have attempted to eat for 2 days. Am I fighting a losing battle? I told the breeder what was happening and she told me to put them somewhere warmer

Attachments

• 1410748078445.jpg
    1410748078445.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 445

Ruth

Reaction score
Thanks, their water is currently about 15 degrees Celsius since the breeder told me they need to be warmer I brought them inside. I wouldn't be as concerned if they were still eating, but I try several times a day putting food right by their mouth with tweezers and they don't move at all :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!