Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

USPS issue

MThompson299

Reaction score
So today I was supposed to receive my female axolotl that I purchased from Ashley on Thursday and USPS ended up losing the package and is unable to locate it.has anyone else had this issue as I spent well over two hours on the phone with USPS trying to figure out where it was located at or what might have happened stressing the fact that there was a live animal in this package in all they could tell me is there's nothing they could do and that I would have to speak with the Oregon USPS office which of course is closed on the weekends. Also does anybody know what the survivability might be for Knoxville auto that was in a package for 4 to 5 days?

Last edited:

Boomsloth

Reaction score
idk about a knoxville auto but axolotls are very hardy as long as the temp doesn't get too high. It might get to you a little skinny and probably some damage from ammonia but TLC should fix that.

MThompson299

Reaction score
She is now some where in atlanta. Me and my partner set a tank up just for her so we can allow her to destress and give her special treatment. Hopefully she will be delivered today since she has been in atlanta since early Sunday morning.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That is why many people ship live animals early in the week.

MThompson299

Reaction score
So the axolotl I purchased from Ashley that got lost in the mail arrived at my local post office instead of being delivered. My partner went to pick her up and unfortunately she did not survive the 4-5 trip. So sad right now.......:(:cry:

Shell2842

Reaction score
This saddens me very much. I'm sorry for your loss!! I'm also worried at the same time because I use USPS to ship my live packages and I'd be heartbroken to hear that my once live babies were no more because they couldn't find their way to their new homes!! I hope this doesn't sour your experience for buying live and shipping!

MThompson299

Reaction score
This saddens me very much. I'm sorry for your loss!! I'm also worried at the same time because I use USPS to ship my live packages and I'd be heartbroken to hear that my once live babies were no more because they couldn't find their way to their new homes!! I hope this doesn't sour your experience for buying live and shipping!
No because it is not Ashley's fault. I just will pay extra if thats what I have to do to use a different service. USPS did not even seem to care. All they said I am sorry but you have to go online to file a claim. I just do not understand how a packaged marked that there is a live animal in it gets lost without any concern. When I called and spoke with USPS on Saturday they told me there is nothing they could do and that who ever put the information in at the originating post office so they could not look in to it any further. There was and still is zero accountability. I am just absolutely disgusted with USPS and further more just saddened at the loss of a life no matter how small it is.

Shell2842

Reaction score
I will definitely look into other shipping options! This is very disheartening to hear that no one cared about this poor little creature who is no longer with us. Safety and comfort for the little ones being shipped are priority. I will look elsewhere, for a company who takes these concerns seriously. Thank you for sharing your experience, even though it wasn't pleasant.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1