Land areas for CFB

innerdialogue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just have a quick question about floating land areas.

I've got two cork coasters that I float in my tank to give my newt small land areas. I know that CFBs can be totally aquatic and be fine, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

What's the average time an adult newt will stay on land? I'm just nervous he'll get up there and then never go back in... Which is silly, I know, but still.

With mine, I have never seen them go on land. To the point where I took out the cork bark and just had a part of a plastic plant stick out the water. I doubt they would stroll on to land and stay there unless somethin was wrong with the conditions of the tank.

You're right to provide him with a land area, even if he never uses it, it's there if he wants it. To be honest though, once they settle in they hardly ever seem to come out the water, if they do spend large amounts of time on land it can be a sign that things aren't quite right. To begin with you might see him out the water until he gets used to the surroundings, but eventually If there are plenty of live plants that reach up to the surface, or floating plants he will likely just rest there instead of climbing out on to the cork.

If conditions are adequate, they won't spent any significant time on land at all. Some individuals may not use it...ever..., others might take the odd quick stroll on land every now and then. The one exception can be for some females during breeding season which might spend some time on land to get away from the annoying males, but again, these changes between individuals and may not happen at all.
If an adult of this species spends a significant amount of time on land the most probable scenario is that either temperature or water quality are not ok.

If you are going to have a floating cork surface why not look for some natural cork bark? It's so much nicer...and way more stable than a coaster.

It's about time for a water change. I'm going to do that when I get home.

There are two live plants in the tank, an Amazon Sword and a type of grass that I can't remember the name of right now... I know there could and should be more, but the stores in my area have a really small selection.

There's also a problem with protein scum. It's not a complete film, but you can definitely see something on top of the water. I would like to get rid of that as well.

Obviously, I'm newer to newts and I just want to keep his tank the best way I can, so advice is very much appreciated.

Definitely make an effort in trying to get more plants. That will make a huge difference.
If local shops don't have what you are looking for, try online shops or contacting other hobbyists that could give/sell you some cuttings.
The surface scum is a sign that there is organic matter being decomposed. It probably means you are overfeeding or that the foods you are providing are left uneaten and are spoiling in the water. Removing unaten foods and debris with a turkey baster should take care of the scum problem.
If you post a picture of your tank we'll be able to provide better advice and point out any possible improvements.

tumblr_nc0i42mGv41qc6zzyo1_500.jpg

I took this in the middle of my water change.

I would suggest adding a lot of floating plants like elodea/anacharis and hornwort, maybe some java fern/moss too.
That castle seems like a newt would get stuck in a crevice inside that, have you inspected the inside of it?

The trays with the bead thingies are likely to trap debris and they are difficult to clean. I would suggest swapping the plants you have for species that can grow without a substrate so that you can get rid of the trays and other unnecessary decorations that difficultate cleaning.
The plants suggested by ThoseNewtsTho are all excellent choices, but i would emphasize java moss as well as add Hydrocotyle, it creates floating matts that are fantastic for the newts and they are said to be excellent biological filters.
I agree that the castle decoration could potentially be a hazard. It'd be a good idea to inspect it fully and cover any crevices that could be a problem.

What exactly do you have as a bottom surface? I don't recognize it.
It is in your best interest right now to have a very simple, very functional tank. To be honest, the ideal would be just a ton of plants and water, that's it. That facilitates feeding and cleaning and will allow you to provide optimal conditions more easily with a minimum of effort. Once you have achieved those conditions and created a stable environment you could focus on adding decorations that appeal to you.

I can take the mountain out. I'm not that attached to it.

The bottom is covered with reptile carpet. I wanted something other than a barebottom tank, but I was afraid to use sand or large gravel pieces because everything I found on substrates tended to contradict each other. I suppose I can take it out if there's no real purpose.

I'm having a difficult time finding plants in my area. The stores around town either have a very limited selection, or their plants require a substrate. Floating plants would be great if I could find them.

I would take the carpet out right away.
I know that a barebottom is not up to everyone's aesthetic sense, but it's by far the most practical and i would recommend it until you have mastered the art of maintaining optimal conditions.
You can use very fine sand just as long as you have a thin layer of no more than an inch to avoid the formation of anaerobic areas. It's a safe substrate.

I would try to contact other hobbyists. Often they have cuttings and are willing to give them away, sell them or swap them for other stuff. As a last resort there might even be some suitable plant species in garden centers or similar places. It might be worth checking.

I'm going to pick up some sand today for my tank. What kind should I use? I read the substrate article and it said that play sand and pool sand can be used, but I want to make sure before I buy a whole bag.

I use a thin layer of play sand in my set ups. Its usually cleaner than other types so needs much less cleaning before use. It's usually quite a bit cheaper than other sands as well.

Thanks. I went to a store yesterday, and all they had was blue Crayola brand play sand. I thought it best to move on to another kind haha

Yeah, stay away from coloured sands, some brands can even be toxic.
Look for silica sands, very fine grade. You can even use construction sand which often meets those requirements.

Remember to keep the layer of sand thin, less than an inch is best, and rinse VERY thoroughly before adding it to the tank. Don't worry if despite the thorough rinsing you get some cloudiness in the water, it will go away.

Where did you look for sand? I buy mine at Home Depot for like $4 for a bag.

I've switched out the carpet and added sand to my newt's tank.

I washed the sand before I added it, and its been a couple of hours, but the water is still somewhat cloudy. Will another day make a difference or do I need to wash it again?

And if it will eventually settle, would it be safe to put the newt back in the tank?

The cloudiness should disappear in a day or two at most.
The problemwith putting the newt back in is that the tank has been reset to zero. It's an uncycled environment, therefore VERY unstable. This would be no problem if the tank was choc full of plants, but it's almost empty. You can put the newt back in, but you'll need to monitor conditions closely, do small water changes daily if necessary and be very careful with uneaten foods and debris.
Have you read the articles on cycling?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back