UV Filter in Axolotl Tank

mikeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Michael
So iv somewhat have read up on UV filters. I was wondering if someone can give me a more detailed list of what exactly the UV filter does and the benefits of having one. Should i put it on every so often to kinda give a good cleansing every month or two, is there any type of damage it could cause to my axies since they absorb everything from their skin, how many watts should i get, and is there a specific brand some people are most intrested in?

So iv somewhat have read up on UV filters. I was wondering if someone can give me a more detailed list of what exactly the UV filter does and the benefits of having one. Should i put it on every so often to kinda give a good cleansing every month or two, is there any type of damage it could cause to my axies since they absorb everything from their skin, how many watts should i get, and is there a specific brand some people are most intrested in?
From my understanding from what my partner has told me and some light reading the uv light will help eliminate and prevent algea growth as well as micro organisms such as bacteria and parasites, but I have only seen it used as well as used it myself in line with the filter as we use canister filters and a pump combination.

Iv read up on it a little more and i think its really beneficial to have. My only concern now is if it could somehow harm my Axolotls.

I use a 9w Eheim Reeflex UV on my adult C. pyrrho tank. UV sterilisers only kill things that pass through them. It's the light that kills the bacteria, suspended algae spores and pretty much anything else that passes through it, Axolotls/tank inmates, beneficial filter bacteria and the boifilm on the sides of the tank, etc are unaffected because they aren't exposed to the light. Mine is inline on the return of my cannister filter and is on all the time
Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Guy, Im going to purchase a 18 watt one that does up to 250 gallons tonight for $198. Ill let you know how it goes and how pleased i am with it.:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back