Question: Substrate vs No Substrate

MThompson299

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael
Hello Everyone,

So we have our axolotls in a 55 gallon tank and decided to use sand as a substrate. When we feed them we notice sand getting in the way as they are continually spitting sand out while they eat. We tried clearing a specific area we tend to put their food at, but sand keeps migrating into the area as well as their food shifts around. We also tried putting the food in a small container as well, but again the food migrated out and on to the sand. Just wondering if removing the sand completely would be an issue for the axolotls? I have read in some posts that it made cleaning easier, but I also read that having a tank without a substrate made it harder for the axolotls to move around and may cause unneeded stress. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

P.S. we feed our axolotls frozen blood worms as well as live red wigglers.

Last edited:
My axies don't seem to show any stress in regards to their tank's lack of substrate. Of course, it is not a completely bare tank. I have multiple large moss balls, sagittaria weighted down with lava rock, and their several cave hides.
It is much easier to keep the bare bottom tank clean.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back