Vomit, poop, and enlarged anus

esKaye

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I woke up this morning surprised to see my Axi out of his cave and doing some sort of odd movement I've never seen before. Upon closer inspection he was vomiting and his back legs were sticking sideways, anus wide open.

Looking into some of the other posts I realize I may have over fed him because I was trying to make up for the 3 days he didn't eat prior to. Mr picky doesn't like earthworms.

Anyway, I found 2 wax worms that weren't digested, one fed last night and the other the night prior. Blood worms, and a partially digested fish he must have caught while I was asleep. I do find it odd that the last thing he ate was the most digested. I know many people say not to leave fish in the tank but I took them from my other tank to help cycle the water (as I recently moved him less than a week ago), they're small, don't nip at his gills and I don't mind if they turn into his food.

I also examined the poop which looked almost black and a lot darker than his usual pinky poop. I expected to find something in it but it contained mostly sand and some gravel (from the sand, thanks PetSmart!) with some dust which I assume to be digested bloodworms.

Anyhow, I get he may have over eaten but still don't know why his rectal area is still open and enlarged?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411065631.805815.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411065656.304980.jpg

It might be that he was a bit constipated. They often don't eat, have swollen cloaca, the rear end might float, might throw up, and eventually just make a huge mess. But my axies have never had this so I don't really know if that kind of swelling would be normal with this.

If there was sand in the poop then it might be good to get a plate/feeding jar or something to feed him on to avoid him ingesting sand. You can use just a normal small plate or a jar. I have an exo terra feeding dish made for terrariums but it can be used in aquariums too and it looks better in there in my opinion.

Small feeder fish are ok to have in his tank. As long as you don't mind them ending up as snacks.

Yes, I agree with Keiko. Your axolotl does look constipated. I've had it with one of my males and I was really worried. He/she should pass it soon, if it doesn't poop in a long time (were talking like, another week and a half or so, some people might wait longer) you could fridge. Not many people recommend it as it is a stressful process for the axie (meaning you should only use it for a last resort, not an impulse) However, it's and idea. Keep offering food and hope for a poo!

It might be that he was a bit constipated. They often don't eat, have swollen cloaca, the rear end might float, might throw up, and eventually just make a huge mess. But my axies have never had this so I don't really know if that kind of swelling would be normal with this.

If there was sand in the poop then it might be good to get a plate/feeding jar or something to feed him on to avoid him ingesting sand. You can use just a normal small plate or a jar. I have an exo terra feeding dish made for terrariums but it can be used in aquariums too and it looks better in there in my opinion.

Small feeder fish are ok to have in his tank. As long as you don't mind them ending up as snacks.

Thanks again Keiko! I feel as though I am trying to improve my Axi's quality of life, he seems to be reacting in the opposite way!
I do have a feeding dish, since the bloodworms are so messy! But he still seems to be ingesting sand somehow. In his previous tank, it was bare, so it was never an issue. So many things to learn! :confused:

Yes, I agree with Keiko. Your axolotl does look constipated. I've had it with one of my males and I was really worried. He/she should pass it soon, if it doesn't poop in a long time (were talking like, another week and a half or so, some people might wait longer) you could fridge. Not many people recommend it as it is a stressful process for the axie (meaning you should only use it for a last resort, not an impulse) However, it's and idea. Keep offering food and hope for a poo!

Thanks Jake! He did end up pooping twice, so I hope the swelling goes down. It was so swollen his back legs were sticking out sideways! Also, what can cause constipation?

Also, what can cause constipation?

It could be the sand or even just the new food he's not used to. Some axies (like my juvenile copper) try to eat the sand at first, but they'll usually learn pretty fast it's not food. My little one still sometimes tries to eat it put spits it out right away.

It could be the sand or even just the new food he's not used to. Some axies (like my juvenile copper) try to eat the sand at first, but they'll usually learn pretty fast it's not food. My little one still sometimes tries to eat it put spits it out right away.

Thanks for all your help, Keiko! You've helped ease my mind with your vast knowledge :D
I think I have noticed him eat sand before..thought it was some bloodworms that had fallen off the plate, but now that you mention it it makes sense. Thanks again! :happy:

Constipation can be caused by a number of things, I was once told broccoli helped contipation :confused: But I wouldn't try it unless someone more experienced then me told you;) The legs might be from the swollen cloaca, I think it is. Hopefully he do a Humungapoop and he'll be okay again :)

Ok, so I know that axolotls are not fish.... However, I have fed peas to my fish occasionally to ease constipation. Before tossing the peas in the tank, or crumbling them first, you should remove the thin skin to make them easier to digest. Axies eat duckweed sometimes, so why not try peas for constipation?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back