Axolotl not sharing food

peep94

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have two juveniles and to feed them i put one blood worm cube in twice a day. Thought it was all going good until I caught them eating and my golden albino seems to be hogging all the food. I tried halving the food and putting some up each end near them but my melanoid dosnt seem to catch on that there is food unless the albino is eating. Any suggestion as to how to stop the little pig as she is putting on weight whilst the other isnt as much.

The only way to prevent it is to separate them for feeding e.g. put one in a tub or put in a divider, or hand feed them. Are they big enough for worms yet? It's much easier once they are on to worms, although with bloodowrms you might have some luck with feeding tongs.

Axolotls really should be fed as much food as possible while they are growing into adults. How big are they? One bloodworm cube might not be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there 3 months old and about 10cm long. will try sliding a peice of glass down the middle so they both get a cube to themselves.

Maybe you would have better luck feeding them blackworms at that size if they're not sharing. It could be worth a try.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back