Male breeding behavior

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few weeks back I was surprised with my axolotls first clutch of eggs. I know males will perform a mating dance to entice the female but last night after a water change I thought my axolotls were going crazy. Both my tanks had them swimming around and after checking the parameters I realized the only ones freakin out were the boys. Every single boy axolotl was nudging and pushing underneath any other axolotl within range. An hour later there are spermatophores all over the place. Anyone else have such a synchronized mating dance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well seing as they all reposnd to the same triggers - such as daylight hours and temperature - it's not surprising they all go at it at the same time!

My males did something similar in the spring - but being in a batchelor pad they just chased each other round the tank....

Haha I split my guys up based on size. The larger ones are all female with one lucky guy, while the smaller ones are all males with one unfortunate female :/ I know she's not ready to breed since she's nowhere near as round as the larger ladies but it was crazy how as soon as I finished both water changes the males began their dance. I wish I filmed it because the females just wanted more food and had some pushy dude getting all up in their business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mating display is pretty cool to see! My golden male always looks so impressive. Much like what you would imagine a dragon to look like!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back