Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Loner

MThompson299

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So we rescued my mom's axolotl, she put some fish in with the little guy that picked on him a bit, and the first day he was very active hence the first picture of him out munching on some worms and bloodworms. But since then he has just been hanging out in the big coliseum we have in the aquarium hence the second picture (he is the one up top peeking out). He does not socialize from what I see, my partner says that he has seen him come out briefly once in a while. My other 2 roam the tank nonstop all day. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Scar Face.jpg
    Scar Face.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Scar Face in the coliseum.jpg
    Scar Face in the coliseum.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Yep, little guy is just stressed and recovering. Axolotls aren't really social butterflies. Some like to stay out in the open others will hide away but they are fine being alone. Maybe he will come out more later but he might also be more shy. As long as the others aren't picking on him it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThompson299

Reaction score
No, if anything I have seen the other 2 go hang out in there with the little guy, but they come out the moment there is any commotion outside of the tank. I guess I should have mentioned one of my concerns is he will not come out to eat and to make sure he eats I do put bloodworms and a worm in there for him when I feed the other 2. Probably not a good idea as it is probably encouraging it.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Yeah I have a shy guy too but he's also gfp which is probably why he hides more. I don't like to feed outside his cave because it's difficult to get any worms he leaves out. He does come out just not as much as the others. When I feed them he pokes his head out rushes over eats then goes straight back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThompson299

Reaction score
We keep a stocked supply of little shrimp in the tank to help clean up anything left behind, we also tukey baster the waste out.

MThompson299

Reaction score
Great news! This little guy has really blossomed and has started to explore the rest of the tank leaving the confines of his sanctuary. My only issue now is that he is extremely skiddish when it comes to food or anything touch him. If the worms we feed our axies touch him he darts, in fact if a bloodworms falls on him he darts. This might be from his previous situation, but is there anything to help this poor guy?

Cacique

Reaction score
That's great that your axolotl is coming out of his shell. I think his reactions might be from needing to get used to things. When worms touched my axie he also reacted the same way, back up all surprised would be the smallest reaction. I also once moved him and he swam at full speed through the tank.

I think it's most likely him getting used to it, if not he could have been spooked from something.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Just a little concerned about the white objects on the bottom of your tank. Are they pebbles of some type? Whatever they are, are they secured to the bottom? If not, there is a serious probability that the axies will swallow them - not a good thing, as they can cause a potentially dangerous impaction. If I am seeing things, I apologise. I am just trying to be helpful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!