Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Floating half out of water

mexicola

Reaction score
Hi everybody, my 4 years old axolotl Bronco is making me lose sleep lately! He hasn't been eating much all summer, and for the past 3-4 months he spent his days floating peacefully just under the surface of the water. He's always been a "floater" though, ever since he was super tiny, so I didn't give it much thought.
Yesterday, though, I found him floating with half his body (and the gills too!) out of the water. He is tilted on the side (on his right side) and when I try to make him move, he does but it seems like he can't swim his way back to the bottom. I'm worried sick, please help! I checked the water parameters and they seem normal, the water's cold and clean and nothing changed in the environment or in his diet. What can it be?
Thank you!

mexicola

Reaction score
Update: he is now practically lying on his right side, with the left side (gill included) completely out of the water. He often moves and tries to swim to the bottom, but he can't even turn his body straight, it's like the right side is weighing him down.
He is really bloated and won't eat a thing. Otherwise he looks perfect, his skin and gills are spotless and as pink as they've always been. Could it be he just has to let out gas or poop? Should I leave him be and wait till he does or fridge him? Please help me as I've never seen him like this in 4+ years! thanks!

HayleyK

Reaction score
If all parameters are "ok" (0 ammonia & nitrites, less than 40ppm nitrates, temp less than 20 cel) then it could well be gas or poop. I wouldn't fridge him yet but you may want to put him in a tub of cool, dechlorinated tub with a shallower water level/plants to float under so hes more comfortable until you figure things out.

iSuzie

Reaction score
You need to move him to a "hospital tub" set te tub up with just enough water to cover his body to stop the stress of him trying to get to the bottom of the tank, his feet should be able to touch te bottom at all times, floating is caused by a few different reasons, gas and air bubbles, constipation, impactation, and sometimes other illnesses.
What substrate do you use? (Gravel? Small rocks? Sand or larger grained sand? Slate tiles ect? Does he have any snails or anything under the size of his head in the tank with him or have in the past had anything smaller than his head in the tank? As this may have caused impaction. He could also just be constipated, ether way what ever he passes u will be able to keep an eye on in the tub, if he passes any stones or rocks u may need to fridge him, if he is constipated he may need to be fridged if he doesn't pass it on his own, fridging causes them to expel any blockages they have in their bowls by pooping or vomiting it up. If u don't know how to fridge an axie please follow the guide at the top of the sick axolotl section. I hope this helps and he gets better soon, let us know what happens :)

iSuzie

Reaction score
In the "hospital tub" you can also add Indian almond leaves to help him heal any damage he may have to his skin from being out of water, also a tea bath would do the same thing if u don't have access to any Indian almond leaves (very good for healing)
Also try and keep the water temp as low as possible, 15 degrees would be ideal encase it turns out to be impactation or constipation. Otherwise it could just be bad gas! Good luck

mexicola

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice. Bronco does not have (and never did) any substrate on the bottom of the tank, just a few very large stones (double his size) and a large tree-like plant he loves to swim around and under. Also, he's always been alone in his tank and never had any object/living animal smaller than his head in there with him.
I don't have a tub at home so the plan is I'll just put him in a container with shallow cold water and leave him there for a couple days, and then if he doesn't poop or pass gas, I'll move him to the fridge?
thanks again guys

HayleyK

Reaction score
Make sure you change the containers water 100% everyday. Make sure the container isn't too small, big enough so your acolotl can move/turn around easily. Some axolotls don't poop for a week, so I would wait a week since fridging is pretty stressful.

Zandy94

Reaction score
Hi everybody, my 4 years old axolotl Bronco is making me lose sleep lately! He hasn't been eating much all summer, and for the past 3-4 months he spent his days floating peacefully just under the surface of the water. He's always been a "floater" though, ever since he was super tiny, so I didn't give it much thought.
Yesterday, though, I found him floating with half his body (and the gills too!) out of the water. He is tilted on the side (on his right side) and when I try to make him move, he does but it seems like he can't swim his way back to the bottom. I'm worried sick, please help! I checked the water parameters and they seem normal, the water's cold and clean and nothing changed in the environment or in his diet. What can it be?
Thank you!

Mine has been doing this for about four days now. He's eating fine, but his floating is getting me really concerned as he does it a lot, and after pooping too. From what I have read on your behalf, the side floating is sometimes a normal thing, however I am not 100% experienced yet as I have had my Axi for over a month. Hope all goes well :)

iSuzie

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice. Bronco does not have (and never did) any substrate on the bottom of the tank, just a few very large stones (double his size) and a large tree-like plant he loves to swim around and under. Also, he's always been alone in his tank and never had any object/living animal smaller than his head in there with him.
I don't have a tub at home so the plan is I'll just put him in a container with shallow cold water and leave him there for a couple days, and then if he doesn't poop or pass gas, I'll move him to the fridge?
thanks again guys

That's a great plan, let a know how u go as yes def change water 100% when they are in hospital tub and not in there cycled tank as obviously out of the cycle they will be susceptible to high ammonia spikes and nitrites and nitrates without the proper care the water needs such as changing daily. :) good luck and let's hope he passes the as soon as that's what it sounds like.

mexicola

Reaction score
Okay, I put him in a smaller tank with just enough water to cover his body. He appears less stressed already because he can touch the bottom but he still hasn't passed out any gas nor has he pooped.
He gave me a huge scare today when I eased him into a smaller container to transfer him from his usual tank to the hospital tub, because he completely freaked out and almost jumped out of it. The thought of doing this everyday to change the water in the hospital tub kind of worries me because I don't want him to suffer, but we'll make it one way or another!
Thanks again and I'll be sure to keep you updated on Bronco's progress.

Bette

Reaction score
Okay, I put him in a smaller tank with just enough water to cover his body. He appears less stressed already because he can touch the bottom but he still hasn't passed out any gas nor has he pooped.
He gave me a huge scare today when I eased him into a smaller container to transfer him from his usual tank to the hospital tub, because he completely freaked out and almost jumped out of it. The thought of doing this everyday to change the water in the hospital tub kind of worries me because I don't want him to suffer, but we'll make it one way or another!
Thanks again and I'll be sure to keep you updated on Bronco's progress.

Use a fish net to transfer him to another container while you clean the hospital tub. That should be a lot safer :happy:

allied123

Reaction score
my two used to freak out a lot too, and as big as they are now I couldn't find the right size net for them so handling them was my only way to transfer them from place to place. I learned that (with mine at least) it helped if I went slower to grab them, not sneaking up on them, and then very smoothly and quickly get them back into water they seemed much calmer, almost no splashing or thrashing. (I used to worry and just do everything as fast as possible cause I was nervous and maybe that isn't your problem but I hope this tip helps)

Cacique

Reaction score
Wishing your axie a quick recovery.

When I had to transfer my axolotl, I just used my hands to move him from his tank to his container. I did it really fast so I didn't give him time to struggle with me. I was freaked out because I didn't want to hurt him, but I just gently scooped him up with my hands under him for support and my thumbs over him to make sure he didn't fall. I didn't really have to hold him in place, just scoop up and into the container. My axolotl has been somewhat used to being handled, so it made it easier to do all that.

mexicola

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, he now got used to the small container I use to transfer him while I change his water, also because he's very weak at the moment and doesn't freak out as much when I move him.
Other than that, he finally pooped a little and he's not bloated and leaning on his right side anymore. The bad news is he's really skinny now and the left side of his back looks very red and almost scorched because it was out of the water all the time when he was floating.
I tried to feed him but he won't touch anything. He catches gulps of air very frequently, too. Is this normal? How long should I still keep him in the hospital tub before I move him back to his tank? Should I fridge him at this point?
Thank you so much for your support, I hope he gets better too because it's so painful to see him like this!

keiko

Reaction score
Don't fridge him. That slows down their metabolism and then he certainly won't eat. Try to keep him as stress-free as possible and he'll probably eat sooner or later. If you think he would be better in his tank then you can put him in there. You could also try adding Indian almond leaves in the water to help soothe his skin.

mexicola

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks again for all your help, but I have very bad news, as Bronco sadly passed away this morning. I still don't understand what happened, he seemed better and then I woke up this morning and he was gone. He will be very fondly remembered, he was a great axolotl and cheered me up all the time for the past 4 years. Thanks again for your advice and support.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1