Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus

baconfamily

Reaction score
How can i get Fugus off my new axie. I picked him up and he had a small spot of his foot, now it is getting bigger. I gave him a salt bath twice but any other ideas to help him he eats great but worried he will get sick.

baconfamily

Reaction score
Re: Fugus

Here are some photos
GvuVROl.jpg

4xC76U9.jpg

Bette

Reaction score

I hate to tell you this, but it looks like your axolotl has a serious case of anchor worms. I do not see any fungus. I would not do anymore salt baths at this time, because it will cause more stress, and it will not kill the anchor worms. Somewhere on the forum is some info on treating this... I will see if I can find the link.
I would advise bringing it to a vet. The whole tank and anything that came in contact with the axolotl or its tank must be sterilized by the time your axie is returned to it's tank(when treatment is complete)
Did you recently obtain the axolotl?

Bette

Reaction score

Upon viewing the pictures again, I do see some fungus on the gill stalks, and a spot on the left front foot. This is probably due to the havoc that the anchor worms are wreaking on your poor little axie. I am unsure if you should continue salt baths...
Perhaps for now, just add about 1/2 teaspoon plain sea salt per gallon to the axolotls tank water(this may halt the fungus growth).
Hopefully there is a veterinarian on this forum who can advise you, or someone who has treated these before.

baconfamily

Reaction score

I got him three days ago from a lady in town. Two months ago I got two babies from her and they are doing great I wanted a darker colored one so I got this one. I did not notice when I picked him up or I would not have gotten him :( I do not know any vets near me that are going to be able to help. Not many exotic vets around :( Thank you for your help!

Bette

Reaction score

Being that you just got him from the breeder, I advise returning him and telling her the issue. I'm sure he had them while at the breeders, because its only been 3 days, and he has alot of them. Closely moniter the others you have. It is highly contagious. If you used anything from this axie for the others, it could have spread.
In any event, tell the breeder where he came from so they are aware.
Are there any fish in the tank with this axie? Or were there any in the tank previously? AW can easily be spread from fish.
If you keep this axie, you will probably need a vet. Call around and ask for referrals to a vet with herp or caudate experience.
Good luck! Please let us know what happens.

baconfamily

Reaction score

I kept him away from my other axies. I have not used anything in his tank with the other tank. I will call around and see if I can get him to a vet. :(

baconfamily

Reaction score
I called a few vets and they say that they are unsure what to do for them they mainly deal with dogs and cats only :( I can not travel to an exotic vet I have read other post about how to cure it and not sure where to get the meds. I am very heartbroken and not sure what to do :(

Bette

Reaction score
I called a few vets and they say that they are unsure what to do for them they mainly deal with dogs and cats only :( I can not travel to an exotic vet I have read other post about how to cure it and not sure where to get the meds. I am very heartbroken and not sure what to do :(

Have you spoke to the breeder about it? Are you considering returning the axie?

baconfamily

Reaction score
I have told her and she was unaware that he was ill her other two are also ill with it and I would love to keep him but I am not sure I can get him better! I am gonna try I am just glad that I did the quarantine so that my other two are still good.

baconfamily

Reaction score
I was thinking that it would not work but that is what the vet said to use. He stopped eating now so I gave him to a breeder that has been raising them for years and he is going to see if he can get him better I hope he can. thank you all for the help.

Bette

Reaction score
I was thinking that it would not work but that is what the vet said to use. He stopped eating now so I gave him to a breeder that has been raising them for years and he is going to see if he can get him better I hope he can. thank you all for the help.

I hope your axolotl makes a recovery. I just hope that the breeder will use the proper treatment for him, because the UV sterilizer will not kill the parasites that are attached to him. And there will always be some that will not pass through the UV light. Best of luck :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!