Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my Axie's hunger normal?

Kochebi

Reaction score
So, I just brought home a new axolotl, my little Ogo (who I will eventually post pictures of) and he seems to be doing well!! He's happy in his tank, the temperature is around 65 degrees Fahrenheit, and all of the water parameters are good.
My question is concerning his apparently endless hunger. I have a few goldfish in a bowl next to his tank, which I had for cycling, but I'm now going to give back to a pet store since I don't want them hurting Ogo. He noticed these fish, and immediately tried to start eating them. I eventually put one in his tank (they are still very healthy fish) and he went after it and gulped it down. I made sure it was the smallest one, and was much smaller than his head, but it was still a hefty meal. However, now (and it's only been about 24 hours since the last fish) he seems to want even more fish! He keeps swimming over to them and trying to eat them! I gave him some frozen bloodworms and he snapped those all up, but is still showing interest in the fish. I don't think he's digested the first fish yet, as I've seen no sign of poop anywhere.
What should I do? Should I give him more food?

auntiejude

Reaction score
This is normal - axies are always hungry! In the wild they may go for days without food, so when food is plentiful they will stuff themselves.

Kochebi

Reaction score
This is normal - axies are always hungry! In the wild they may go for days without food, so when food is plentiful they will stuff themselves.

Ah! Alright, thank you! I thought he would eat a goldfish and be full, but now I know otherwise! Perhaps I will give him another soon then... As long as I know he passes the first fine.

axys

Reaction score
i think it also depends on the axie. i take care of two right now ( one is mine, the other a teachers) mine eats about 1 earthworm a day some times 5/4 of one. my teachers axie, burt, he eats as much as u will feed him and still acts like he is starving and its always been like this. but especially if u just got him recently he might now have been fed too well so maybe it will go away, maybe it wont.

i could be wrong but i think the width of their stomach is a better indicator than their behavior. like i know some other herps will eat even if they arent hungry just because in nature they have to store food because they dont always get food on a regular schedule.

one quick thing, again i could be wrong because im pretty new to axolotl care but i dont think u should feed them any sort of fish if its pet store bought because they can carry disease. only time its ok is if u breed them urself is wht i have been told.

but for ur main question, yeah i think constant hunger, especially when there is food in their eye sight is pretty normal

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1