Question: Too shallow?

dryopteris

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Here I go with another question :dizzy:
I want rehouse my juvinile to a bigger tank ( he is probably going to outgrow it very soon), . I also wanted to get something a little bigger because I might get him a tank mate :p
So I might be able to get an enclosure 78x56x18 cm (30.7x22x7.1 in) with 18 cm being the height, but that really seems too shallow to me (the waterlevel would be 10 to 15 cm).
Still I'm second guessing so just to be sure: what is the reccomended waterlevel for axolotls?

Thanks in advance

The water needs to be at least as deep as your axie is long plus a bit, preferably more.
e.g. an 10" axie would need at least 12" of water, but would appreciate at least 18".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back