Question: Genetic Question

Slongo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Do albinos and axanthic axolotls retain genetic for patterning but just dont express it? I'm trying to breed an axolotl it has a slight yellow colouring and want to retain it's interesting pattern as much as possible. Would breeding with a golden albino help? Also can an axolotl not be an albino (not a/a) but be axanthic (ax/ax) what phenotype would that be?

Axanthics are axolotls that lack iridophores and xanthophores. Your axolotl that has a slight yellow could be an albino axanthic that has gained yellow pigments through diet. Albinos that are not axanthic are golden albinos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the question - axanthic means lacking in yellow colour an iridophores.
Do you mean you have a pale yellow albino that you are trying to breed?
The xanthaphore expression is variable.

My golden albino female always produces very yellow/gold babies, although she is quite pale. I think your best option would be to try an albino/leucistic cross and see what happens.

Sorry I see why your confused. I have a wild type who has some yellow colouring. I want to breed him to try and get more yellow offspring. What should I breed him with?

Sorry I see why your confused. I have a wild type who has some yellow colouring. I want to breed him to try and get more yellow offspring. What should I breed him with?

a wild type that is more yellow doesn't really make it easy on you since you don't know the exact genes that you're trying to amplify. Ideally you would try to find a similar yellow axolotl and hope they are male and female and get them to have babies then breed the yellowish babies together or back to the parents to try and isolate that specific expression. This is not a quick or easy thing to do and it could take years before you finally see the yellow axolotl you wanted.

a wild type that is more yellow doesn't really make it easy on you since you don't know the exact genes that you're trying to amplify. Ideally you would try to find a similar yellow axolotl and hope they are male and female and get them to have babies then breed the yellowish babies together or back to the parents to try and isolate that specific expression. This is not a quick or easy thing to do and it could take years before you finally see the yellow axolotl you wanted.

And if you're going to start inbreeding your axolotls, you really have to first learn about the subject as much as possible. Inbreeding can also produce sick or deformed animals so you really have to know what you're doing and how to avoid it as much as you can.

I have to agree, wildtype colours are very variable, so your best option would be to cross him with another yellowy or pale wildtype and hope for the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back