Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Made this Video, what do you think?

axys

Reaction score
nice video and your first/largest looking tank is very pretty :). one question. do u ever have the problem of nipping and limb loss because those all look sub adults to me. they do have a pretty large roaming space. im just wondering because currently i have 2 5 inch axies in a 20 gallon thts split in the middle. they always look through the mesh at each other for long periods of time and almost look like they want to play, however i know since they are in their cannibalistic stage i dont know if removing the mesh would be a good idea or not?

mikeg

Reaction score
Thanks !

In the big tank the smallest axie is 7.5 and the largest is 12 inches all 4 years or older. The middle tank on the unit with the sand those are about 5-6 inches, the ones on top are about 4-4.5 and the smaller ones at the bottom just hit 3 inches. I usually get a problem with nipping when they are in the in between stage of BBS and blood worms, otherwise if i keep them well fed i don't generally have a problem. If the divider is easy to remove and put back in then i would say just test it to see how they react and if all goes well then your fine.

TallTree01

Reaction score
Great video mate! One small critisicm though, I would never ever reccomend an axolotl for a 10 gallon. I don't think Axolotls should be kept in anything less than a 3 foot by 1 foot footprint. They can get to an impressive size after all. :)

keiko

Reaction score
I agree with TallTree01. Though I know that 10 gallons is often considered to be the minimum.

mikeg

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back, will defiantly take it into consideration!

Any ideas on what my next video should be? I was thinking my next couple video should be something like a FAQ's, Feeding brine shrimp, how to saltbath/teabath/fridge. Any thing i should specifically pin point?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1