"shrimp leech"in tank ???

kayleighh18

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my axolotl set up for around 18 months now. i began feeding them river shrimp as part of their diet around 6 months ago to give them something "meatier" to eat. since then i have noticed that i keep getting these leech like things in my tank that can get up to 1cm in length. since noticing this i have repeatedly stripped my tank down and cleaned everything, but the leeches keep coming back. i have now stopped feeding my axies the shrimp to prevent the leeches but regardless of me stripping the tank i cannot seem to remove the leeches.
is there any advice that you can give me as i don't want to stress my axies out.

Do you have some photos of these little critters?

2-pcs-Worm-Trap-Turbellarian-Trap-Leech-Collect-for-Fish-Tank-Shrimp-Tank-Aquariums-FREE-SHIPPING.jpg

its someone elses photo but the things look exactly the same

I agree - planaria. The shape of the head is a giveaway. These often arrive as hitchikers, and feed on poop and uneaten food.

You can leave them and your axies will eat them, you can scoop them out when you see them, but there is no point trying to sterilise your tank and potentially crashing your cycle. They will go on thier own eventually.

thankyou just hoping they go away reasonably quickly as they are an annoyance to me lol but again thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back