Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Clear jelly like substance in my tank

axys

Reaction score
So after the weekend i went back to school and started feeding the axolotls as the usual routine. while i was doing so i saw some brown/gray dirt looking things on top of the hideout so i took it out and suddenly a wave of noxious smell came at my nose. i mean it is one of the most disgusting smells i have ever had the displeasure of experiencing... ever.

along with that there was clear/white ish moucousy clear jelly like substances all on one side of the tank (the tank is split in two with one axolotl on each side)

im wondering if anyone knows wht it is, could it be that sperm cone like thing males excrete and try to drag females over to? i have seen picture, this stuff was on the sand not floating, thought maybe if it happened late friday, by monday it could have sunk to the bottom?

on possible problem with that theory is that both of the axolotls are only about 6 inches. also the jelly was found on the side of the axolotl currently thought to be female. one of them has a serious bulge near its bottom and he is definitely a he. the jelly was on the flat bottomed side, i also know tht some are "late bloomers" per say and develop the bulge when they get larger.

any advice or explanation would be very appreciated. thank you all in advance!

keiko

Reaction score
The brown/gray dirt looking things sound like poop.
And the clear/white things could be bacteria covering some wastes.
Pretty impossible to say for sure without pictures.

axys

Reaction score
unfortunately i cleaned it before i thought about taking picture. you are right that brown stuff was poop, i wasnt sure because till this point i had not seen actual solid axolotl poop even though i have had one since june, i can cross tht off my bucket list :p

the bacteria is probably more likely bet than my theory. if it happens again i will make sure to take pictures.
thanks for the advice!

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Please try not to blush but what you may have been seeing is spermatophores.

Jack laid quite a number of these - they look like small 'curly hills' (like the hill in the Nightmare Before Christmas!) and have small white 'tips.' I didn't notice that they smelled but what you may have smelled was either poop or gases being produced by bacteria as they digested the poop.

If you have a male axolotl this may well explain it, and if you have a female, you might want to be on the lookout for eggs. My female, Embry, laid only a day after the spermatophores were laid.

axys

Reaction score
haha no worries actually thats what i thought it was, no joke :p. i thought she might be a little too young for it. she is about 5-6 incheas. and so far she looks like a she. there is a same size male in the tank but there was a divider between them at the time and all the jelly was on the what is presumed to be a females side so im not sure.

keiko

Reaction score
At 5-6 inches they usually aren't sexually mature yet so that's why I would assume they weren't spermatophores. Ofcourse almost anyting is possible. :p

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I see your point but sometimes axolotls haven't reached the size they should be for their age, sometimes because they are genetically smaller than the others, sometimes because of diet in the larval or early juvenile stage.

Jack didn't look old enough to produce spermatophores and I found out it may have been because he was previously fed solely on bloodworm, which may have meant he was smaller than if he was fed earthworms as well (for some reason I find earthworms greatly increase the size of axolotls who weren't previously fed on them). I assumed they weren't any older than 6 or 7 months, but they still managed to produce babies. I assumed all of Embry's eggs would be duds given what I assumed to be her young age, but they actually produced healthy offspring.

If it's not spermatophores it may well have been some sort of bacteria breakdown, for example, some kind of film that was fed on by the bacteria. The main reason why I thought it was spermatophores is because that is the only jelly-like substance I have ever found in my tank, and it was really hard to remove >.< I still have a splodge of it here and there stuck to my slates that I just can't get off.

aloltlove

Reaction score
I couldn't help but notice this same substance in my axolotl tank as well. My female was near it and I initially thought it was attached to her tail or something so I tried sucking it out with a turkey baster immediately which was challenging I might add. If these are spermatophores do they need to stay in the tank in order for them to reproduce (if they have already done whatever with them) or can they be removed from the tank? There were two patches both of which I removed because my initial thought was :eek: bacteria... especially since they had white tips. it was all alien to me!:ufo:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1