Where do you guys get your earthworms?

Leander

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, as the title asks, where do you guys get earthworms to feed your axies?
When I bought my lil' albinos, the previous owner said that I had to be super careful when buying earthworms for them, to make sure I didn't get diseased or parasitic earthworms. He said to buy from feeders, and not bait worms. I'm wondering how true that is. I can't help but feel like even feeder worms could be quite diseased - as far as I'm aware (with my limited knowledge pf earthworms lol) It's more about the soil they're in that where they're from.
PLUS, when I look at buying from feeders here in Canada, a lot of them require a minimum order (of close to 500 worms. Which is waaaaaaaay too many earthworms especially for a first order) or will only sell to pet stores. I have tried to buy from pet stores, but they stock them so infrequently that I can't rely on them. It would be a million times easier for me to get bait worms, and so much more convenient as far as storage and constant supply.
For those of you that feed earthworms, where do you buy yours? Is the warning to only buy from feeders a little exaggerated, or is it something I should definitely heed?

I never had an issue with bait worms called Canadian crawlers. Red wigglers can be a issue because many animals refuse to eat them because of their foul taste. Bait worms or feeders are all coming from the same worm farms anyway. Stick with the bigger crawler worms and just cut them to size and you shouldn't have any issues. And if you can breed your own.

Same thing as Coastal Groovin here. I get my canadian night crawlers from the bait and tackle section in sports. I got red wrigglers from Petsmart too. I only have ran into the same issue Coastal Groovin has of my axolotl refusing red wrigglers. The issues I've read about are mainly about fish attractants being added to the worms. The red wrigglers don't say anything but I was told by Petsmart they were used as feeders (they were sold in a tub for bait), and the Canadian night crawlers I believe are just fed natural foods.

From the ground. I get all my worms, woodlice, slugs, and anything else I feed my amphibians from outside, I collect them myself. I have never had any known problems either.
Of course, I don't get them from any areas that might have pesticides, weed killers, fertilizers etc., I mostly just get them from around my house ( where I know there aren't any of the listed ).

If you're not confident with bait worm quality, have you tried organic farming suppliers? Breeding your own is easy, just a bucket with a few ventilation holes, some good quality compost, feed them veg scraps and mashed potato.

I'm new to axies (four days in). I dig fresh worms from the garden each morning and have also started a worm farm that I throw any excess worms into. Anticipate that the worm farm will come in handy on rainy days when the last thing I'll want to do is be digging in the garden!

I order mine from Yorkshire Worms.com and have suggested that anyone who has had babies from me does the same, although one person did find a pet shop that stocks them quite cheaply.

The reason I ended up buying them online was because all the bait shops I contacted didn't know whether their worms came from sources that didn't use pesticides or similar. That, and it's super easy to get them - I just order and they arrive two days later!

I have to admit I get my canadian nightcrawlers from the bait section at Wal-Mart. lol
I usually open the container and look for lively worms with good coloration. And to be honest they sell better looking worms than the pet store and for cheaper.

Petco sells them for like $5 for 12 worms and most are dead and moldy. Wal-Mart sells them $3.25 for 18 and they have a beautiful color and no odor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back