Eurycea lucifuga setups

eMax

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
Does anyone here keep groups of the cave salamander Eurycea lucifuga? I recently acquired one young adult of this species this summer, trying to see if eventually establishing a breeding group would be feasible. This individual has been pounding dusted fruit flies like there's no tomorrow and I think the next time I get a chance to stop by this locality, perhaps sometime next spring, I will try to catch some others.

My question is, what kind of setups do people have success keeping/breeding these in? Ultimately I would like a nice display tank with real or artifical rock background to roughly replicate a limestone wall. I also would like a front-opening design to enable easier access to the vivarium but have trouble imagining how to make one with a tight enough tolerance that a young salamander (or fruit fly for that matter) couldn't squeeze through, while simultaneously allowing for air exchange.

So if you're successfully keeping this species, I'd love to see your setups!

-Eric

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back