Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another axolotl

Nano

Reaction score
I'll be upgrading my tank to a 240L in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if that size is large enough for 2 axolotls.

1. If it is, should I bother getting another axolotl or would it just cause problems?
  2. Would I have to find one that is roughly the same size (about 20cm)?

Thanks
Ben

Slongo

Reaction score
240 L thats a 55 gal right? If so that should be more than adequate for 2 axolotls. Same size is always better less chance of limb loss. In my experience you can go smaller as the new axolotl's body is larger than half the size of your current axolotl's body you shouldn't have any deaths although limb losses could occur but thats a risk whenever house two axolotls of any size.

Last edited:

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Keep them both fed but if the new one is much smaller then you might want to invest in either a divider or a larger breeder box to keep it in the tank but avoid getting eaten.
As for the size of the tank I have two of those tanks each with 4 and 5 axolotls which is about the max you'd ever want to go. A cool thing I did in the beginning was keep one side dark and float water hyacinth and other plants on the other side with a bright light. I'll end up doing it again when I don't need fans to keep my tank cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sebguy

Reaction score
Axolotls normally get along well, if the're around the same age/size. Just make sure that there's enough hides so that the axolotls can be alone if they get bothered by each other.

Good luck with getting another axie! :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1