Hi!

Akari

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys! Been around about a week, and just now getting to introduce myself.

I'm a 21 year old vet tech student, with what my friends and family call a zoo (and it might as well be!). They all agree I should changed addmission to my house!

For dogs, I've got an 11 year old lab/golden retriever mix named Haley. She was my first dog. We'd had several family dogs, but she's was the first I would call my own. My next dog is a 10 year old, 130 lb Rottweiler/Australian shepherd mix, named Dweezle. My mom then has Bentley, a crazy little 8 lb Maltese/Jack Russell mix. Our most recent addition is Ginger, a 14 year old miniature dachshund, that I rescued from the vet I am interning at (owner left her there telling us to find her a home or put her down), and brought home to foster, and she never left. When she's behaving, she apparently belongs to mom, but when she's not, she's mine, according to mom :rolleyes: I've also got a Maine coon mix, named Alec, that a friend picked up as a stray and a gave to me.

For you reptile people out there, I've also got three leopard geckos. A Dreamsickle (with typical enigma problems :/...), a snow, and a tangerine hypo super giant, named Amelia, Rowan, and Raven, respectively, as well as a Mali Uromastyx, named Rex.

I've also got 10 or so years of fish keeping under my belt, and currently have 4 tanks and two ponds running. The tanks are 50, 40, 15, and 6 gallons, the ponds and 150 and 125 gallons. The ponds house probably 10 goldfish between the two of them, and the 50 gallon is heavily planted and always in the works, though I've left it alone for some time now, as I'm finally happy with how the plants filled in after the last redo. There's no hope for my other tanks, so I like to keep this one extra nice lol

And I suppose that brings me down to my newest addition, a fire belly newt. I've got the little guy set up in a 10 gallon that is also forever being improved on. I'm putting my handiness to work and seeing what I can come up with for a hardscape/land area without buying too much stuff. It's a good challenge ;)

On top of going to college, I also work almost full time. To be able to feed all these creatures (mainly Haley, Dweezle, Ginger and Alec, as moms pays Bentley), I have taken up couponing over the last couple years. I love the challenge, and I love that I can feed my pets top brands like Wellness for typically less than $40 a month. I do breed my own meal worms for the geckos, so that saves me $20 a month right there, and Rex just eats veggies. Either way, I love getting the best of the best for the lowest price I can get, especially if it means feeding my animals well.

Anyways, I'm not new to amphibians, I've had African Dwarf Frogs and other more terrestrial frogs before, but newts are a bit of a new ball game for me. Nothing I can't apply fish and reptile care to, but I'm the kind of person that wants to continually improve on what I'm doing (you should see me constantly researching dog and cat food-- it's kind of sad really! :p). I hope to learn a lot from you guys, and thanks to those who have already helped me out :)

Oh, I do! I call him my little water gecko :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back