New Salamander Owner

Kaelyn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Kaelyn
Hi All,

I am new to this site and new to caring for a salamander. I have a tiger salamander who came to me by chance in a shipment of recycled material where I work. I have brought him home and provided a 10 gallon tank, coconut fiber dirt, and an enclosure for him to hide (he seems to really like it). I have been feeding him every other day (had him for 4 days now) I switch between regular worms and meal worms.

He is still very reclusive and I need to physically move his little house in order to feed him. I have read that eventually they will grow to trust you, any ideas on how long my new friend will take to get comfortable?

Also I have been doing a lighting regime for him; During the day when I am at work I leave the overhead light on, when I get home I change it to ambient lighting with a few lamps (he is in the basement) and then lights off when I go to sleep. Do salamanders see better in the dark? He doesn't eat with the overhead light on.

Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

-Kaelyn

Hello and welcome to the forum :happy:.

Have a good browse through the Newts and Salamanders section, I'm sure you will find lots of useful infomation and tips along with fellow enthusists.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back