Planted Tank: Plant Substrates vs Root Tabs

Grawlix

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Grawlix
I understand axies generally dig up plants, their low light/low temperature needs greatly limits my options, and plants are not necessary for their happiness but that doesn't mean I don't want to give a shot!

I know that dosing the tank is not an option because axie absorb everything through their skin. So I see my options for boosting growth as root tabs and plant substrates.

I get the idea that people have mixed feelings about plant substrates. Is this true, or are they regarded as safe as long as the media is small enough? What should I watch out for when picking a plant substrate? How do seasoned owners feel about...

- Aquasoil
- Flora Base
- Activ Flora
- Sea Chem Fluorite

I don't see any negatives about root tabs, but aren't they actively leaching chemicals into the water too? I know it's not as much at once as dosing a tank, but I feel like it would add up over time???

Really, in the end I want to know which of the two is safer....

You don't need to use any fertilizers. I haven't used anything and all my plants are doing great and growing nicely. I actually have one plant (don't know the name) that the seller said absolutely needed added fertilizers to grow, I haven't added anything and I still have to trim it at least a couple of times a month. And like you already said chemicals aren't really compatible with axies since they absorb stuff through their skin.

Like keiko said they aren't necessary for axolotl but you don't have to limit the light. The low temp will mean tropical plants won't grow as quickly but many other types of plants do just fine. For axolotls the important thing is that they have cover from the light. What has worked for me is large amounts of floating plants, I prefer water hyacinth and Java moss on the bottom. The hyacinth is great at absorbing waste and blocks out more light than most other plants. Axolotls fed earthworms will produce waste that is essentially what is contained in root tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! What kind of substrate are you using? I assume just plain sand...

Yup, just fine sand.

Or bare bottom. I tie plant roots to small pieces of lava rock that have a hole bored out of them. I've done this with sagittaria and java fern. And I have floating water sprite as well.

I am having the same issue!! So I thought id jump on the wagon here xD I've heard a substrate like sand that's meant for plants works really we'll. it's what I plan on using :) I've also heard using potting soil with a thin layer of sand over top. I'm not sure how that would work. My concern is that I just have been looking up is cleaning! I'm looking into the walstad method of planted tanks. It basically is a system that's fully functional to the point you don't even have to clean the tank except for a few water changes and keeping algae in check. I think that would be fantastic. No fertilizers or anything extra. But I've heard if you have sand, it can trap bacteria and such in it that can cause pH spikes and that's why it's so important to stir the sand around and clean it. In this type of a tank, where the plants naturally balance these things, would it be necessary to clean like that? If not, how do people with planted tanks clean a tank with plants we'll...planted?!

I am having the same issue!! So I thought id jump on the wagon here xD I've heard a substrate like sand that's meant for plants works really we'll. it's what I plan on using :) I've also heard using potting soil with a thin layer of sand over top. I'm not sure how that would work. My concern is that I just have been looking up is cleaning! I'm looking into the walstad method of planted tanks. It basically is a system that's fully functional to the point you don't even have to clean the tank except for a few water changes and keeping algae in check. I think that would be fantastic. No fertilizers or anything extra. But I've heard if you have sand, it can trap bacteria and such in it that can cause pH spikes and that's why it's so important to stir the sand around and clean it. In this type of a tank, where the plants naturally balance these things, would it be necessary to clean like that? If not, how do people with planted tanks clean a tank with plants we'll...planted?!

I don't think that an axolotl tank would be a good fit for the walstad method, simply because they are huge waste producers. I had nothing but trouble trying to keep clean my axie tank with sand, which is why I keep them all in bare bottom tanks now.
You asked about planted tanks... I have a large thickly planted discus community tank with eco complete as substrate. I never sift through the substrate or gravel vac it. The water quality stays excellent with regular water changes. In this tropical tank I dose seachem excel, and have had great results. But I would never use any fertilizers in the axie tanks. Too risky and unnecessary for most plants you would consider using.

I see. I see on here some people are trying it and having success! :D it might be something I attempt. The good thing is since I'm only getting one axie I believe and have such a large tank for him, I might be able to handle the output of waste. I'm going to modify the method to make it better for axies though, including making sure the waste isn't to overwhelming :) the only thing I worry about is the substrate and how to clean it or make sure it's clean.

Or bare bottom. I tie plant roots to small pieces of lava rock that have a hole bored out of them. I've done this with sagittaria and java fern. And I have floating water sprite as well.

I like the lava rock idea. How long have they been in the tank? Do you have any trouble with leaching?

My original plan before I thought about going "bigger and better" was an aquarium sand substrate and good light, with floating plants to shade the light that reaches the axie and hides. It's sounding like my original plan was the best option. I don't mind keepin' it simple! :D

Emerald, I considered Walstad method but I thought that was a lot of front end investment for a tank where the plants may not thrive due to axolotl tromping. Also, I feel like it's just on the otherside of my comfortzone. More power to you though!

Bette, I planned on spot cleaning waste daily with a turkeybaster on top of regular cleaning, since I only am going to have one juvie in a 10 gallon to start. Am I underestimating the waste production though, even with just a single axie? I was pretty set on sand with plants, but if it'll be that hard to keep clean I may tile the bottom in slate...

I like the lava rock idea. How long have they been in the tank? Do you have any trouble with leaching?

My original plan before I thought about going "bigger and better" was an aquarium sand substrate and good light, with floating plants to shade the light that reaches the axie and hides. It's sounding like my original plan was the best option. I don't mind keepin' it simple! :D

The small pieces of lava rock have been in the tank for about a year now. Is there something that typically leaches from that rock?

Emerald, I considered Walstad method but I thought that was a lot of front end investment for a tank where the plants may not thrive due to axolotl tromping. Also, I feel like it's just on the otherside of my comfortzone. More power to you though!

Bette, I planned on spot cleaning waste daily with a turkeybaster on top of regular cleaning, since I only am going to have one juvie in a 10 gallon to start. Am I underestimating the waste production though, even with just a single axie? I was pretty set on sand with plants, but if it'll be that hard to keep clean I may tile the bottom in slate...

You may want to get more opinions on tiling with slate. I heard that someone had trouble with debris, etc accumulating under the tiles. Even though they were sealed down very well with silicone.
For starters, you should be fine with the ten gallon. But I cannot emphasize enough that you need to be diligent with testing the water, and performing regular water changes. And turkey basters are great cleaning tools! Never thought I'd be using one of those things daily :rolleyes:

Gorrammit, I was really hoping that sealed slate tiles would work in lieu of a bare bottom. I guess I'll just try sand and keep my fingers crossed! I used to have a nerite tank and I called them the "sooperpoopers" so I already a turkey baster convert! :ha:

I don't know what exactly lava rock would leach -- I remember enough from my geology/soil science classes to know there's a chance but not enough to know what or the likelihood. I also saw at least one thread that cautioned against them here when I was researching...

I have a planted tank just using sand as the substrate, i don't use fertiliser as the axies give the plants enough anyway as long as they have places to hide they wont normally dig up anything up i also have a moss wall as my background i find this helps keep the water so much more cleaner.

Oh man I was just telling my S.O. about how cool a moss wall would be!!! Did you use a particular guide to create yours or just wing it? Any tips or advice appreciated!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back