Fridging & Salt Bath for Fungus

dkeat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I noticed some cotton ball fungus growing on my axie's gill. I just want to make sure that I'm treating it correctly. How many times a day/ how many minutes should I be giving salt baths? Also, should I be keeping him in the fridge until the fungus is gone? I've already done a 100% water change in his aquarium.

Oh man, if you did a 100% water change, the parameters need to be good before putting the axolotl back in there. I would put the axolotl in a small tub with daily changes until you confirmed it. There are salt bath tutorials and as for the number of times you decide to do it, normally two is enough but if it does not work, you just need to keep an eye on the axolotl's skin as salt bath burn their skin.

Oh man, if you did a 100% water change, the parameters need to be good before putting the axolotl back in there. I would put the axolotl in a small tub with daily changes until you confirmed it. There are salt bath tutorials and as for the number of times you decide to do it, normally two is enough but if it does not work, you just need to keep an eye on the axolotl's skin as salt bath burn their skin.

Thanks for the info! I added some quick start to the new water and I'll be sure to test it before putting him back in.

A 100% water change is fine. You just have to make sure there's still "food" for the bacteria after that in the tank ie. keep your axie in there. There's hardly any bacteria in the water so a 100% water change will not affect your cycle in anyway nor wil it be bad in any other way either. (Ofcourse you need to treat the water the same as always.) But don't use that quick start stuff - there's no need for it and some of those chemicals in them are bad for axies.

Salt baths and fridging are a very harsh treatment - try indian almond leaves, tea baths or fresh untreated tap water first. Check out the 'fungus' sticky.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back