Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: *Please Help* Fungus not getting better even after fridging

dkeat

Reaction score
I posted a couple days ago for information about fridging and salt baths, but Chippy's fungus isn't getting better. If anything, its actually gotten worse. Should I continue to keep him in the fridge or just put him back in his tank to see how he does? Also, which type of salt should I be using? I have sea salt and aquarium salt, but I couldn't find anywhere that has deionized salt. I just feel bad for keeping him in a little container in the fridge.

Here's some pictures of what I'm dealing with. The dark specs are just poop (I've been changing the fridge water with the extra dechlorinated water I have firdged every time I see poop.)

eX0BgJ8.jpg

eX0BgJ8.jpg

dkeat

Reaction score
Also, if anyone has any other methods for treating the fungus, that would be much appreciated! I know some people have mentioned using a tea but I'm not sure where to buy any of this or which type to get.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Are you treating the salt bath water with dechlorinator? You shouldn't, as the dechlorinator affects the salt (salt is sodium chloride). Sea salt is best.

Tea should be plain black tea, nothing posh or fruity, but the fungus really needs to be gone before you start the tea baths.

I have had good results with Melafix - it's similar to tea tree oil - you use it in half the stregth listed for fish.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!