Pet insurance for salamanders?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
Do you have pet insurance? If so who do you use and are you pleased with their service?

For reference I have 20+ A. mexicanum, 2 A. andersoni and will be getting a A. tigrinum in a few days.

Hi! I don't have any newts/salamanders (yet), but I have a few critters now (2 dogs and a bearded dragon) and have had other exotics in the past... My POV on pet insurance is this: Unless you get the policy with the larger monthly payment, they don't really help you out on a lot of things that could be a problem, ie: Chronic breed specific illness. The only upside is that the policy might help you in an emergency (such as impaction, broken limb, etc). I don't have a hard time putting money away, so I just put away what I would be paying for pet insurance every month on the off chance that something comes up and this has always worked for me.
Conversely, I have a friend who has pet insurance and loves it (for her dog), and has found it useful.
Also, would you have to insure each pet separately? I live in Canada, so I'm not sure how different the companies in the UK are compared to here.
Sorry I don't have anything terribly useful to contribute. I'd be curious if anyone with a different perspective has anything else to add. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back